By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Thread Chasing

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Stone25/03/2008 20:43:00
6 forum posts

Can anyone please give me some advice or tips for successful thread chasing, or maybe recommend a good book / dvd I could buy.

I've tried a few times but my threads just tend to be grooves in the wood or when I do get a thread started I'm having great difficulty finishing it because the second & third run seem to overlap the first.

Leaving me quite frustrated & a piece of wood in front of me which looks as if one of the dogs has had a chew on it.    

Rob Johnson26/03/2008 05:24:00
378 forum posts
19 photos

Hi David,

Found this , it may be of some use to you.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/prodimg/ms/pdf/MS-THRDCH.pdf

It is geared towards fine turned boxes etc. If the threads you need are for larger items have a look at the range of screw boxes by Axminster Power Tools ( Taps and Dies for wood really)

Good luck, Rob

Dave Atkinson26/03/2008 09:24:00
672 forum posts
115 photos

Hi David

Once you've cracked it chasing threads is fantastic.  There are a few key things to remember:

dont think about it - just let it happen, this needs relaxed stance. 

do the female thread first

it's easier at a slower speed - 350 - 450 rpm

grind off the half tooth on the leading edge of your chasers, making sure that the first tooth is a hole one and make sure the chasers are sharp - just grind the top edge and then you can use a hone for quite some time

start the thread with the second or third tooth of the chaser until the the thread is established, then intoduce the first tooth,

stay relaxed and let the chaser drop into the thread - it always will - it is some form of magic!

use woods such as Mopane, boxwood, the heartwood of yew, cocobolo. as a guide if it's heavy it'll probably take a thread.

I would also recommend John Berkeley's book "All screwed up" and his DVDs.  Check out his website and that of the DVD supplier:

www.johnberkeley.co.uk

www.ktmp.co.uk

Good luck with it.  It's worth persevering as it is like doing magic.  let me know if I can help some more.  I had a day with John which is well worth it.

Cheers Dave

Dave Atkinson26/03/2008 09:33:00
672 forum posts
115 photos

Hi David, just another thought - I think John is demonstrating at Woodex in a couple of weeks time - 18 - 20th April.  It's free and well worth a visit and he'd be pleased to advise you I know.

Cheers Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact