By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

shallac

dyes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
jay 111/03/2009 17:36:20
72 forum posts
6 photos
can any one tell me if you can put a water based wood dye on after using shallac sanding sealer on first
Big Al11/03/2009 18:21:33
1599 forum posts
73 photos
As far as I am aware once you seal wood you cant apply any dye's or stains. Dye's and stains should always be applied to bare wood.

Al 
Eric Harvey 111/03/2009 20:48:08
221 forum posts
81 photos
Thre is one way of aplying dye after sealing with shellack sanding sealer,what you do is,just strip all the shellack off and start again ha ha,we`ve all done things wrong once or twice,its the only way to learn the pitfalls,hope you can re-prepare to your satisfaction and post a pic of the results so we can see how you got on,regards,

Eric
jay 112/03/2009 15:30:44
72 forum posts
6 photos
well i am glad i did not go with the first plan done an oak unit with dye i was nearly going to seal it first i am glad i didn't thanks lads always remember that
jay 112/03/2009 17:16:50
72 forum posts
6 photos
i retract the above statement i should have just sealed it then looked at the forum because i have just figured out no matter how many times i try to finish a project at the end of it all i am still sh*t at finishing with dyes i think I have tried every way except spraying anybody know a better way    
Olly Parry-Jones12/03/2009 22:32:33
2776 forum posts
636 photos
I've been staining a lot of pine recently and found that I could get a clear finish (less blotches) after first sealing the timber with a 50/50 mix of sealer and thinners (Mailee's advice ). This has worked very well, although I don't think it is necessary with hardwoods; you should be able to brush the stain straight on.

If you're going to apply any knotting (again, mainly a softwood-thing) then don't do it until AFTER you've applied the stain!
jay 113/03/2009 15:55:10
72 forum posts
6 photos
thanks opj but can any one tell me cut a water based dye i am using colron wood dye i think its very thick and i am not getting an even finish
Cedric Wheeler14/03/2009 17:37:48
154 forum posts
31 photos
You can use water based dyes on top of sealer but you should cut back the sealer first. I use thinners based sanding sealer but shelac based are as good. I use Myland acrylic dyes which are water based and once dry they do not rub off. The advantage of putting them on after initial sealing you can control the colour penetration and do not end up with dark patches on end grain where the penetration is always greater. 
jay 114/03/2009 20:49:09
72 forum posts
6 photos
just looked at your computer cabinet that's a nice finish on it cedric   
Cedric Wheeler16/03/2009 11:10:27
154 forum posts
31 photos
Hi Jay Thks for your comments. That was actually two coats of Cuprinol fast drying varnish stain put on with a spray gun over a base coat of Sanding Sealer.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Triton
Tool Post
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact