By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Cheap English oak, quarter-sawn

I've uncovered a treasure trove!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mike Garnham09/03/2009 09:57:33
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Damn........I can't move the pictures around..........

Anyway, I have unearthed a treasure trove! This is air dried quarter sawn English oak, that has been stacked for 10 years. A local farmer friend of mine had this massive bole of oak planked, then dried it, properly sticked, for 3 years, then stored it away in a farm shed for 7 years..........now he needs the room in the shed.

There are nearly 30 boards of 1-11/4" to 1-1/2" by 12 to 14 inches by 12'-3", lots of wide 2 inch boards of the same length, some 6x4 and 6x6 stuff, and a whole lot of other bits and pieces. There is at least 70 cubic feet.

Everything is flat, bone dry and exceedingly filthy!

There is some woodworm, but in the sapwood only. There are also some boards with shakes........but the planks are so huge that there is still a whole lot of useable wood even with the shakes.

I have agreed a lump sum for the lot, but I need to shift it on. At £30 per cubic foot it is less than 75% of what QS English oak might normally fetch, and also has some sizes you wouldn't normally find.  I won't be making any money out of this............just getting a few bits of wonderful timber.

The timber is in NE Essex, between Halstead and Sudbury, and is only available over one weekend (21st & 22nd March).....first come first served.

Please let me know quickly if you are interested, and roughly what sort of quantities..........there is a mountain of timber here.

Mike

I need to know very quickly if people are interested,
Olly Parry-Jones09/03/2009 10:14:56
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Mike, I only wish I was a lot closer! That is an incredible fine; all that quarter-sawn oak!

It does look very filthy indeed. I reckon the best way to treat this once it's in the workshop would be to run over both faces with a belt sander before you ruin your planer knives! If this stuff is as old as you suggest then, your planer's gonna be working hard even when the boards are clean!

I look forward to seeing what you decide to make when you've got your share in the workshop.
Sparky09/03/2009 22:32:43
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Is this the second time you've posted this Mike........I'm sure I've seen it before 
Good luck in selling it.
Marc
Ralph Harvey09/03/2009 22:37:58
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Mike

I wish i was a few miles closer and a couple of quid richer, its a shame to miss out on a great dael like that !

Still good luck with it and look forward to what you have planned for yours, maybe your melting dresser ?

Ralph
Mike Garnham10/03/2009 09:01:28
4114 forum posts
1 photos
Marc,

if you've seen it before, you've been looking elsewhere!!! This is the first time on here.

Ralph, no, that dresser will be ash. I've no idea what to do with this, except that it is too good to miss.

Mike
Ralph Harvey10/03/2009 10:34:33
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Your right there Mike i hope you find someone to take it.

Ralph
jay 110/03/2009 15:01:58
72 forum posts
6 photos
its great when have a nice find like that i have to say i know what its like i get most of mine for free as well were i work
P J10/03/2009 16:24:56
889 forum posts
103 photos
Hi Mike,
If you can stall it to the following weekend I thing i could move the lot for you as long as it's close to you. We'll talk latter.
P J
Jim A10/03/2009 22:21:06
123 forum posts
59 photos
Hey mike I'm in colchester so would def be interested could you pm the address i can prob only afford about 2 cubic feet cos i'm prob gonna be out of a job in 2 weeks so i need something to keep me busy till work picks up again Cheers jim
Sparky10/03/2009 22:46:36
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Sorry Mike, it was Baz who had a picture of some Oak on here........I'm going barmey mate
Mike Garnham10/03/2009 22:53:19
4114 forum posts
1 photos
 Judging by the avatar Marc, that isnt a recent thing!! (Why cant I do do quotes......or use apostrophes?......ooh this is so frustrating now.........)

I didnt see Baz post about oak, but then I have missed quite a bit on here

Jim,

PM sent

Mike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Triton
Tool Post
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact