By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

cherry table

finishes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
jay 127/02/2009 18:12:14
72 forum posts
6 photos
nearly finished a cherry table small bit of sanding to do looking for a good finish to keep it as natural as possible any tips i was thinking of using sanding sealer but i want to give it some protection as well  
Olly Parry-Jones27/02/2009 18:45:44
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Hi Jay,

Is this American Cherry or English? Sanding sealer is good as it won't darken the timber like an oil finish. It's also very easy to apply, although you may find it easier to thin it down slightly if you're using the cellulose-based stuff.

Axminster stock a good range of finishes; might be worth a browse if you're short on ideas.

You could add a coat or two of lacquer after the sealer. There's no reason why you can't apply wax straight on top either. I really like Chestnut's Wood Wax 22.
jay 128/02/2009 16:03:27
72 forum posts
6 photos
thanks opj ill try that if it works out ill post a pic
Blondy_UK28/11/2009 14:55:38
39 forum posts
10 photos
hi Jay 1, how did the table come out? i am looking for a finish for two european cherry table inserts that slide into a small beech lounge table that i have made. I got the idea from a book on weekend routing projects (it took a bit longer than a weekend to finish it though).

In the book i think American cherry was used and it looks a lot more red than my european stuff, i have applied a coat of sanding sealer to the whole thing and was wondering whether to slightly colour the cherry or finish it the same as the beech.

Any ideas would be welcome. thanks Paul
jay 128/11/2009 20:27:37
72 forum posts
6 photos
never finished the table sold it to a friend he wanted to french polish it his self but i am making another one at the moment the wife saw the last one so have to make her one

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact