By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Hello All

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stuart Swann18/03/2008 08:55:00
64 forum posts
4 photos

Good Morning to all of you!

I have been a fascinated lurker for a couple of months now and decided to take the plunge and join up. Fantastic forum with a wonderfully knowledgable and helpful bunch of people!

I am based on North Somerset and am a part time/hobby woodworker.

Rent a workshop space with a group of other likeminded poeple. Still in the throes of setting up 'shop at the moment having only recently moved shops.

Tend to concentrate on rustic outdoor projects using timber which I have planked myself. I am about to embark on a much finer indoor project to keep my lovely wife happy.. a new vanity unit for the bathroom.. should be a fun challenge!

Really great to finally join, thank you for hours of knowledgeable entertainment over the last few months.

Cheers

Stu 

Mike Garnham18/03/2008 09:22:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Welcome, Stuart!

I am pretty sure that Olly (OPJ) is from North Somerset too.....you could form the North Somerset branch of GW between you! 

I look forward to seeing some photos in your gallery......you will have seen that even photos of workshops and dust extractors can provoke interesting conversations!!

Mike 

Olly Parry-Jones18/03/2008 12:18:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

Welcome Stuart! Mike is indeed correct but, there is also a third member living in the same county - he's pretty well known in the Woodworking world, so I'm not sure if I should give the game away just yet.

After reading that you plank your own timber, I'm also looking forward to see what your gallery will have to offer!

Olly. 

Sparky18/03/2008 12:42:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Hi Stuart and welcome to this site.

Cant wait to see what you produce so I can get ideas. Get your camera out as soon as pos

Marc

Stuart Swann18/03/2008 19:14:00
64 forum posts
4 photos

Thanks for the welcome chaps!

I am almost embarrassed to post any pics given the standards of the work you guys turn out!

have uploaded the only picture I have of any of my work. The table was part of a three table and two long seats commission for a local pub's outdoor smoking area.

They insisted that the tables were not finished in any way and that cracks, splits, warping all added to the character they were looking for... they certainly got what they asked for!

I sanded lightly to remove any major splinters but didnt apply any finish as per the instructions. I dearly would love to go back and finish the tables properly and seal them to protect against all the beer which gets spilled over them.

The two benches to sit on were a smaller version of the tables but were sanded lots more.

We through and through planked the beech ourselves and had it stacked for almost a year before we used it... it was still moving (lots) as we were making the tables.

OPJ.. who would this third mysterious member be then in our part of the world?

Sparky.. dont get too excited!

Mike.. I am looking forward to having the 'shop fully functional as I still havent set everything up since the move in mid Jan.

Cheers,

Stu

Oddjob18/03/2008 20:14:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos

Welcome Stu

As you have already found, the guys here have a wealth of knowledge to pass on to us.  As a relative newcomer to woodwork myself I find the contributions interesting, useful and sometimes bizarre!

Your outside pub furniture looks like my first attempt at a coffee table!  Your finish is probably better than mine was though!

Richard 

Mike Garnham18/03/2008 20:35:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos
Bizarre, Richard???   Surely not!
Olly Parry-Jones19/03/2008 13:19:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

Stuart, it depends on whether you read Good Woodworking or not. If you do, then you'll know him as Andy King (he also lurks on these forums somewhere...).

If you've never picked up a copy of Good Wood before, then I guess that name will mean nothing to you anyway!

Stuart Swann19/03/2008 21:21:00
64 forum posts
4 photos

Aha!

I do read GW and had not realised Andy was a local boy too!

At the risk of using a common cliche "its a small world"

Mike Garnham19/03/2008 21:30:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

At the risk of making seem even smaller.........I lived in North Devon for many years........

Soon after passing my driving test I was driving up Porlock Hill when I met the back of a run away caravan coming down the hill .....so I do remember North Somerset very well!

I hope you people realise that you live in Paradise!!

Mike 

derek willis20/03/2008 08:42:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Mike,

Not much fun is it,on the evening of Charles and Diana's wedding I followed several farm tractors and trailers up a hill, one came off and met me at speed, narrow road, you just sit and wait for it.

Derek.

Mike Garnham20/03/2008 09:52:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Derek,

sounds like yours was worse than mine.........the caravan and car ended up jack-knifed in one of the emergency run-off sand traps, missing me by a whisker. Porlock Hill is reputed to be the steepest road in Britain, and is not for the faint hearted, with a hairpin bend half-way up......most end up in first gear.

You've been away....have you been busy in your workshop? Are you going to post some pictures of your workshop........I need to know that there is another one out there not quite as pristine as Baz's!!!!

Mike 

derek willis20/03/2008 13:18:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Mike.

Mine is a WORKSHOP not a place of beauty, no I've not been anywhere, but I only answer posts that interest me, of couirse I've been busy in my workshop, being old and decrepit there is not a lot else for me to do.

Do ou take the Woodworker, you might find something of interest in the April edition.

Derek.

derek willis20/03/2008 13:19:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Mike, I meant to say, it was a write off no front end left at all.

derek.

Mike Garnham20/03/2008 13:47:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Derek,

no I don't take the Woodworker............it was looking for an online version of it that let me to this site in the first place. What is in it in April that might interest me in particular?

Mike 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
Chippendale
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact