A Bowl Turned on Hot Glue

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ralph Harvey21/02/2009 17:16:53
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Yes Baz
I Too have had a few brushes with the wrong end of the glue gun and squirted too much out all over my fingers, Hurts is an understatement

It was a friend at a local school who told me about them, i will have to find out where he gets them ?

Ralph
George Arnold21/02/2009 17:53:20
1834 forum posts
191 photos
I mount my blanks on a screw chuck , or a face plate, turn the outside leaving a foot to be held directly in the chuck , then turn out the inside  after finishing the bowl the foot can be turned of or left what ever is your personal choice, 
 I like Dennis also have a large bit 3/1/8th inch which I use especially when I do a clock , I drill it right through so I can hold the disc either side on the chuck, this also gives  room for the clock movement ,
George
Ralph Harvey23/02/2009 00:02:40
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
George

That is the way most turners, my self included are tought, the main advantage of hot glue is that you dont have to have a chuck, the whole process can be done on a faceplate. It opens up a lot more to people who can't afford the chuck when they start.

As and when you manage to aquire the chuck it can be done both ways, ?

Mind you i will have to get a large drill bit for boring out the centre to mount the work first off !

Ralph
Ralph Harvey23/02/2009 00:03:05
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
George

That is the way most turners, my self included are tought, the main advantage of hot glue is that you dont have to have a chuck, the whole process can be done on a faceplate. It opens up a lot more to people who can't afford the chuck when they start.

Mind you i will have to get a large drill bit for boring out the centre to mount the work first off !

Ralph
Ralph Harvey23/02/2009 00:03:30
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
George

Ralph
Sparky23/02/2009 19:02:04
7631 forum posts
22 photos
My Stanley duel glue gun does both hot and cold melt glue..........not used it cold yet though...........you need dual melt 113mm glue sticks 

B&Q Only £19.98

Stanley dual Temperature glue sticks 6pk.
Dual melt sticks allow both sensitive & hard wearing materials to be adhered.
£2.48

Marc
George Arnold23/02/2009 19:19:05
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Ralph
 I wasn't trying to go against what you where advocating,using glue, but as most of my blanks are ex green wood and are often out of balance I myself would not risk the glue method  on these blanks ,
I  don't know up to what size blank  you would hold  with glue,
I am sure it was the computer that sent so many messages.
George
Ralph Harvey23/02/2009 20:45:55
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Sorry George didnt intend to suggest so, my brain dosnt always think through what i mean.
I know what you mean about greenwood, not the best thing to use with hot glue, i have turned a 16" platter on hot glue and a bowl around 12 - 13" off centre work is a bit different though

Marc I will have a look at the glue gun see how good it works on wood,

Ralph

Sparky24/02/2009 16:21:27
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Ralph
Works great on wood with the hot glue but, I have noticed, if you don't let the glue melt properly before you squeeze the trigger, it does pour out above the area where the glue goes into the heating element.........then you have to dig it out once cold.
Marc
Ralph Harvey24/02/2009 17:17:59
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Marc

I have found that with a couple of the cheaper ones i have had particularly the Lidle ones, the one i am use at the moment works well, Heats up quite quickly (usually)

Another thing i want to try is the coloured glue sticks I think Lidle were advertising them, might be fun to use as a joint between timbers ?

Ralph
Sparky24/02/2009 17:28:37
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Ralph
I've had to take my Stanley apart a few times to get all the glue out............fun and games putting it back together again..........I'll switch it off next time!

Coloured glue!........that sounds fun!
I'll look out for some of those.
Marc
Ralph Harvey24/02/2009 17:33:04
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Ouch

Mind you i had it go wrong mid demo once, it all back fired, literally whilst gluing lattice blanks ?

The point between thumb and index finger is quite tender half cooked.  mind you i had to buy a new glue gun from them to finish the demo.

Ralph
Sparky24/02/2009 17:37:28
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Ooh, painful......good job they were there for you to buy another but, I would of thought they would give you it!
Cheeky bu**ers asking for money!

Marc

Alan T.16/03/2011 14:36:29
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hi All, Just love these kind of discussions on the forum. Bouncing ideas off each other is brill. For the record I use a hot melt gun quite often and it's surprising how quick it sets and melts .Great stuff. Cheers Alan T.
Doug16/03/2011 17:06:12
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Whooo, was that really 2 years ago, time certainly does fly.

Cheers.

Baz.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact