By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

ALLY PALLY WOODWORK EXHIBITION

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Allen14/02/2009 17:32:20
12 forum posts
Disappointing. That's how i would sum it up. I was really looking forward to it, it being my first visit. Few exhibitors and on the Friday very few of us punters. Did the snowy weather have an effect? I did buy some nice bits-n-pieces but no big bargains.  Where were the big boys like B&D and De Walt? Would i go next year? Probably not.
However, there was a small stand selling an impressive 'super' type glue and I forgot to go back and buy, and now i can't remember the name. Can anyone help?
Andy King14/02/2009 19:06:04
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Hi Tony,

The company you are thinking of is Hafix i believe.
They have a website here: http://www.hafixs.co.uk/

cheers,
Andy
George Arnold14/02/2009 22:59:28
1834 forum posts
191 photos
 I spoke to several people today at the wood turning club, and most were disappointed with the size of the show this year,they enjoyed the social side meeting up with mates for a day out, but said the show was a shadow of it's former days.
George
Ralph Harvey14/02/2009 23:33:30
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
I didnt go to the show, couldnt afford it and couldnt get there if i could ? but from what i have heard it was not like the shows that were around years ago when i did go

There was the obveouse lack of readers and public work ie competitions, but also there seemed to be a lack of "Big name" demonstrators, there were the members of the "team" who are tallented in there own right but what about other demonstrators Stephen Cooper, Ray Key, Stuart Mortimer, Phill Irons, to name a few in my own field.

What really wories me is what will happen next year ? the show has steadily declined as bits have been taken out, will this be the last ? or will it go back to a format that worked before ? well like they say "if it aint broke why fix it"

I wait to see what is next in this saga ? and hope......

Ralph
Big Al15/02/2009 10:27:37
1599 forum posts
73 photos
I have never been to the ally pally show as its always in february, and I have never had the funds to go. I haven't been to a show for about 3 years, possibly 4 years, and that was yandles spring show. The yandles show, in my opinion (i attended the show for about 4 years on the row), always seemed to get better and better, and I would love to go again, but I cant fore see it this year due to insufficient funds, again!

But I don't believe that this problem just relates to woodworking shows. Craft fairs have been in decline over the last 6 years, both in crafts people and members of the public visiting. And I am sure that if you looked into other shows and exhibitions they are probably declining. I spoke to a wood carver 3 years ago who told me that at one time he would regularly take between £500 and £2000 on an average day in cirencester, but over a year or 2 he had seen his takings decline to the point where he lost money every time that he set up his stall.

Al 
Ray Small15/02/2009 13:11:10
26 forum posts
Hi Tony, Haffix glue is great stuff. Only superglue I know you can use on a broken mug handle and not get a cup of coffee in your lap when the glue lets go
Tony Allen15/02/2009 13:22:29
12 forum posts
thanks Andy and Ray for the Haffix tip off.
Something i forgot to question was why Woodworker magazine advertised the show as £9.50 but in fact it was only £7.50 to get in on the day.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact