By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

OH What pleasure

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Derek Lane09/02/2009 18:46:26
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
I've just spent the last 3/4hr planing a table top by hand after using machines for this task it was pure pleasure to feel the shavings come off the top and satisfaction of having a flat top for the table. What task in woodworking do the members find a pleasure just out of interest
Sparky09/02/2009 20:18:13
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Welcome to the club Derek, its a great feeling isnt..........just make sure you dont over do things...........its possible to get so excited that you end up planing the bench!!
Marc
Ralph Harvey09/02/2009 20:30:17
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Derek

Too much like hard work, Planing up the tapered legs was more than enough hand planing for me, mind you it was with a little bullnose plane, dont have many hand tools left.

As to what gives me pleasure, Anything thats fun !  particularly when i finally work out how to do something.

Ralph
Derek Lane09/02/2009 20:38:30
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Sparky
Still got a whole bench  Phew 

Ralph

So you went that route with the legs just posted my side table base in my gallery (must stop calling it that ALBUMS now)
Ralph Harvey09/02/2009 20:43:01
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Derek

Did the taper on the outside only, next is the drawer so better brush up on dovetails ? havnt cut any for ??????  cant remember when the last time was
Ralph.
Conor ONeill10/02/2009 09:47:42
71 forum posts
126 photos
For me it's using a plough/rebate/combination plane.
Yes routers are quick and make easy work of multiple items, but they are noisy, require extraction and you spend 90% of your time cutting, shaping and preparing jigs, then trialing it on a scrap piece - and even then they wander off course!
A few quick measurements on a plough plane and with a good sharp blade you have a perfect groove in no time, and lots of satisfying shavings on the floor.

Oh, and vertically paring end-grain with a very very sharp chisel. Cruuuuuuuuuuunch thunk, cruuuuuuuuunch thunk, cruuuuuuuunch thunk. 

Lovely.

Conor (need to lay off the coffee in the morning) 
Mike Garnham10/02/2009 21:34:34
4114 forum posts
1 photos
My favourites are pushing together a decent hand-made joint..........or belting a seasoned oak peg into a green oak joint and watching it pull up tight. Sharpening my pencil first thing in the morning with a razor-sharp chisel.........or free-hand chiselling a stop detail on the end of a chamfer. Paring a tenon with a big chisel. Its quite a long list!!!

Mind you, there is also quite a long list of tasks that are nothing more than tedious chores!! Cleaning-up work the day after a glue-up, re-setting the plane after sharpening the blade, trying to retrieve the router cutter that falls through one of the dog-holes and ends up behind the bench.........

Mike

Woodworker10/02/2009 22:00:38
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
My fave moments involve handtools and sharp blades. I just love the feeling of a well honed and used tool doing what it's best at. Planing a nice straight grained bit of timber has to be one of the nicest experiences. I like to listen to the wood as it's cut too, which kind of rules powertools out. 

There is one noisy exception though; and that's the moment a book-matched cut is finished on the bandsaw. I'm usually too excited at that point to switch the bandsaw off before checking out the mirrored grain pattern! 

What a great idea for a thread – nice one Derek.
Mr Maguire10/02/2009 22:30:04
265 forum posts
1 photos
I love hand sawing myself....nothing better than ripping down a 1" thick plank of oak with a freshly sharpened rip saw. I have to agree with mike for the second... whacking a peg into a draw bored mortice and tenon. Scrub planing is pretty satisfying as well, plus you get a good work out too

Richard
Toothy11/02/2009 09:13:07
458 forum posts
67 photos
My favourite is planing a straight grained plank with a finely set SHARP plane and listening to the sound of the miron thick shavings coming off.

BTW How good is a 0.15 mm shaving? some are thinner but I cant measure them!

Toothy
Tommy mc glynn 111/02/2009 09:58:43
291 forum posts
1 photos
just seen your table very nice work any plans on staning it. the bit i like moust is when i am ask to make some thing . and when i give it to them and they like it .
Derek Lane11/02/2009 10:20:11
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Nice to see so many responses but then that is why we all enjoy woodworking so much

Thomas the table is complete that is the colour to match other furniture in my step daughters house
Oddjob11/02/2009 12:16:03
1635 forum posts
79 photos
I find all woodworking a pleasure otherwise I wouldn't do it!

The best though is the first application of a newly sharpened tool - especially sawsfor me.  Chisels and gouges are sharpened routinely during use so are always sharp, or at least sharpish.  Saws are different - for me anyway.  The deterioration in cutting with a saw is gradual and hardley noticed until you eventually realise that it you doing the work and not the saw!  The differenece when you sharpen it is wonderful!!!!

It is also a great pleasure to see any project completed.

Richard
Shoggy13/02/2009 14:54:25
5 forum posts
I'm a mechanical fitter by trade and usually work in metal. 
But woodwork is my hobby and I like to buy the best quality wood possible for a job then
"go into production" with home-made jigs for my  table saw and router - spending ages setting them up for the highest  precision job.
Using power tools as much as possible.
The only snag is my missus dropped her vacuum cleaner down the stairs and until we buy another I'm doing all the cleaning with my Makita dust extractor [it's too heavy for the old girl!]
Shoggy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Craft Supplies
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact