Good Woodworking Issue 211

Improving?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Oddjob05/02/2009 15:17:48
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Ben and team

Received my copy last Monday and finished my first reading of it today.  It is getting much better - thank you.  This issue has what I consider to be a fair mix of projects, 'magazine' articles and reviews.

Ben, your "Notes" contribution is excellent as are your various "Views from the bench."  I find it particularly interesting to read an alternative view to the article writers' own.

That's enough plaudits for now, so:

Proof reading still required - quite a number of minor typo's.

And, it may be pedantic but please tell Bruce that, by definition, a TV should go inside a "TV Cabinet," - not sit on top of it!  His excellent piece of furniture is perhaps a 'TV Paraphernalia Cabinet' or just a 'TV Stand with storage.'

Keep up the good work and maybe I won't switch my subscription to The Woodworker after all.

Richard
Woodworker05/02/2009 16:02:56
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Thanks for your feedback Richard. 

I'll be the first to acknowledge that we've still got a way to go. We've got a new series starting next issue called back to basics. The aim is to revisit the fundamentals of woodworking and, in so doing, adjust the balance of the magazine slightly with more emphasis on making things well and enjoying our craft.

As always, I'll pass your comments onto the team.

Cheers,
Ben 
will spencer05/02/2009 17:38:44
21 forum posts
ben,
any chance john brown's anarchist woodworker could be re-printed?
Ralph Harvey11/02/2009 21:53:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Just got my copy of Good Woodworking today, an interesting read a good mix of topics, just one little niggle ?
On the V-Clamp VC5 and VC4 vacume clamp, why have you printed typical price in Australian Dollars ? its not a currency i tend to keep and the conversion rate dose not spring easilly to mind , i like the tool but have absolutelly no idea what they cost ?

Ralph
Oddjob12/02/2009 13:50:51
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Ben

While you are finding an answer for Ralph, could you find out why your printers mix up the pictures and captions so often?  Sometimes there are even captions for pictures that have not been printed and vice-versa.  Quite frustrating when you are tring to follow a procedure.  Dominic Collings' Armchair Thriller was particularly bad in this issue.  Come back proof readers

Richard 
Woodworker12/02/2009 14:27:25
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Hi Ralph / Richard,

Darren Loucaides is away for a few days but as soon as he's back I'll alert him to your comments. 

Cheers,
Ben 
Sparky12/02/2009 14:33:23
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Ben
My wife works for a printing firm, could I get them to make you an offer for printing the magazine?.
They have just had a 20% pay cut due to the recession so they would like more work
Marc
Woodworker12/02/2009 14:45:13
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Hi Marc, sorry to hear that. I've just sent you a pm.

Ben 
Sparky12/02/2009 15:06:14
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Cheers Ben
I answered it ages ago!
Marc
Andy King12/02/2009 22:37:07
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Hi Ralph,

I haven't got the issue to hand, but it should be priced in American dollars as it was supplied by Lee Valley. (I know they are Canadian, but the American Dollar is easier and they list both currencies)
I've just had a quick look via Google and it looks like Axminster sell the same piece of kit, so it is available here which should save on shipping and import duties(should you be unlucky and get charged for the duty!)

cheers,
Andy
Andy King12/02/2009 22:39:38
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Oops, should have added, I always supply a conversion to UK Sterling with the review of anything that is an overseas product, but it may be this has been omitted on this occasion for some reason.

Andy
Ralph Harvey13/02/2009 00:05:04
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Thanks Andy

I will take a look, it looks like a very useful piece of kit.

Ralph
Andy King13/02/2009 09:14:27
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Hi again Ralph,

I've just managed to track down the issue, and the VC4 and VC5 are made in Australia, but its priced in US Dollars. We have omitted the dollar conversion though, so apologies for that.
It is a neat piece of kit, but as I said in the review, it doesn't fair well with certain MDF's or more porous work, the suction power is greatly diminished.
Just for my own peace of mind, i placed it on the bandsaw table and fired it up and I simply couldn't move it a fraction. A piece of ropey MDF hardly bonded to it, I could easily remove it.
However, a long length of sapele attained superb suction, so it's a case of the right material to get the best from it.

cheers,
Andy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Tormek
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact