By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

The International Woodworking Exhibition 2009

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sparky06/02/2009 20:34:20
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Mike
I think your find that the first morning of the first days are always a bit slow. Our trade shows (Curtis Holt) Tool Bank  never really got off until the Saturday afternoon or last day on Sunday..........I do hope the other who go this weekend find it better.

You would of thought that with 40 odd company's there they would of had some prize giving contests or just freebies like we used to do...........even carpenters pencils came in handy

Sadly, with your remark of 'round things', there wasn't much of the build kind there...........write to the organisers and maybe get your own stall for next year...........I bet there would be a lot of takers if it was possible.

Was it worth the £6 after all?
Marc
Mike Garnham07/02/2009 00:16:05
4114 forum posts
1 photos
£7.50 actually.........

Was it worth it? If I am strictly analytical I guess not, but I did enjoy a day out of the office, and I did buy a few bits I've needed for a while........and I would have paid more than that for the post & packing! I bought a Trend Air Ace filter for about what I could have got from Axminster for.........but you get to try things like that to see if they suit.

As for my own stall.........hmmmmmmmmm, I think not!!! I've nothing to sell, for a start!

The round things comment is about fair, too, because I think turners were pretty well served. I think they would have got more from the show than I did.

Hope you're on the mend...........

Mike
George Arnold07/02/2009 18:07:58
1834 forum posts
191 photos
 Mike
You could have gone for all three days on the ticket this year. Sparky was refering to the  price for concession if you booked in advance it was £5-50.as you say  it the hands on which is the best part, I thought you might be at rhe camping exhibition
George
Mike Garnham07/02/2009 18:24:03
4114 forum posts
1 photos
Blowed if I can see what you would do for the 2nd and 3rd days, though George!!

Which camping exhibition?

Mike
George Arnold07/02/2009 18:30:37
1834 forum posts
191 photos
 Mike
  I agree with you on that , I thought your latest project was a roof top camper, did it turn out as you had hoped ?
George
Sparky07/02/2009 21:12:14
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Mike
Is this show one of the main ones that everyone goes to or is there a bigger show during the year?...........not genned up on these things

I wonder if the organisers ever read comments about it..........seems they could learn a few things.......

On the mend?........well, no really, never will be, just seem to get more things going wrong ...........thanks anyway

George, yes mate, sorry that was for concessions

Marc

Woodworker07/02/2009 21:56:22
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Sorry I missed you yesterday Mike. That would have been Clare you met at the front desk.

I've just got back from the show after running around for most of day with my camera. Great fun photographing the powertool races ~ one of them nearly had my leg off!

The show was busier today than yesterday, I think because of the improvement in the weather. I bumped into Brian Barber. If you read this Brian, it was good to meet you. I hope you managed to get that Bosch mitre saw.

I picked up some cracking bits from the Murlands stand, which was the highlight of the show for me. A lovely 1 1/4 inch london pattern box handled paring chisel from the turn of the century, a nice old Record round spokeshave and a Millers Falls no.10 (equivalent to a no. 4 1/2) smoothing plane which I've never seen before ~ all for £60. Can't wait to try them out.

I've got to go and sharpen my chisels now because we (Andy King, Phil Davy, myself and possibly others from the magazine) are competing against Chichester college in the university challenge tomorrow! The brief is to make 'something to sit in'. Hmm, should be interesting.

If anyone from the forum is there tomorrow come and say hello.

Cheers,
Ben 

Andy King08/02/2009 20:59:56
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Well apologies on that front Ben, as you know I got waylaid again talking saw sharpening for most of the day - I did try and get across, honest!
Have to say it was a cracking looking bus stop though!
Still managed to get a bit of honing advice in for some of the visitors over the weekend as well, so came home with my customary bald forearms once again...

cheers,
Andy
Brian Barber09/02/2009 10:55:48
160 forum posts
244 photos
Hi Ben,
It was nice to meet you at the Ally Pally show on Saturday. I really enjoyed the day. It was my first visit to this show, I usually go to the show at Harrogate. The venue there is smaller but it is always heaving with people. I heard a few comments that the Ally Pally show seemed smaller than usual. I cannot tell of course this being my first visit but it didnt seem as big as I expected.

Yes, Ben I did buy the Bosch Mitre saw (GCM 8S) and am looking forward to delivery this week. It was a really good buy at the price. Also bought a small Japanese saw to add to my collection.

Hopefully these will be used in my next project, not sure what that will be yet but have a few ideas.

Will be in touch,

Brian

Woodworker09/02/2009 11:20:11
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Hi Brian,
Glad you got the saw. That little GCM 8S is a beauty I'm sure you made the right choice there.

The show did feel a bit smaller this year but then I guess that's to be expected in the current climate.

Hi Andy,
No worries. I had wanted to come over and ask you for a saw sharpening tutorial but just ran out of time. The bus shelter all came together in the end ~ Martin and Phil did a sterling job there! Nice of Trend to rout us out a sign too, that was the icing on the cake.

I'll post some pics later.

Cheers,
Ben 

John Kinch09/02/2009 16:14:04
206 forum posts
91 photos
Hi Ben, Sorry I never got to meet you at the Ally Pally on Sunday, but I did meet Ron Fox. On the Trend stand I bought The Complete Routing Guide by Alan Holtham, he and Ron Fox are my favourite authers.
   I thought the show this year was smaller,but I found it more interesting. There seemed to be more machinery on show than last year.
   I was very interested in the Leigh Super 12 dovetail jig but thought it would be difficult to justify the £180.00 to her in doors.But when I got home and spoke to her about it and how nice the joints are from it she said well get one then. Had I got then it would have been a bargain,Oh well another missed opportunity.
John kinch.
Ray Small10/02/2009 01:06:48
26 forum posts
Hi Ben,
Sorry I didn't get to see you at the show either on Friday or on Sunday morning (when I popped in to buy some stuff I'd run out of time to get on the first day)
I must say I was very disappointed that there were no competitions running this year. Seeing all the entries has always been a highlight of previous shows for me.
It's been said that turning was well served and I agree that the masterclasses were good. What was missing to my mind though were the boundary pushing turnings often seen in the competition entries - last years entry by Bob Chapman for example or those wonderful segmented candlesticks. The turnings on the AWGB stand and the two club stands showed very competent turning but, with a couple of exceptions very traditional rather than 'cutting edge'. What do other people think?
George Arnold11/02/2009 17:33:15
1834 forum posts
191 photos
 Theres not been much of a feed back about the woodworking show , Mike didn't seem impressed ? Bens highlight was buying some second hand tools?John and Ray  found it fairly satisfactory.
Mike have you seen the advert for a new show to be held in september The European Woodworking Show put together by Classic Hand Tools to be held at Cressington Temple near Braintree Essex. web site www.classichandtools.com it looks like it might be more to your liking.
George
Ray Small15/02/2009 12:47:11
26 forum posts
I think you are putting too generous a gloss on my comments George. Overall I found the whole thing a let down and nowhere near what it was like in years gone by

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact