By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Lidded pot in african walnut 2008 (15).jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Doug03/03/2008 06:38:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Garfield,

Nice pot ,is there any chance of a photo showing both halves. I fancy having a go at something like this myself.

Baz.

Garfield06/03/2008 00:25:00
59 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Baz,

I'll see what i can do.

Garfield

Doug06/03/2008 06:02:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Great, Thanks Garfield.

Baz  .

Oddjob06/03/2008 08:41:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Nice workmanship and nice wood - could have improved on the design a bit though.
Mike Garnham06/03/2008 09:32:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

No, I'm not with you there, Richard. I like this design, and although it is difficult to get an idea of scale, this would look excellent as a series of "jars" on the kitchen shelf, holding say tea, sugar, spices etc. I hope it is that big.   I wonder if the top might have been a bit flatter.......but it is important that people don't just make the same old things over and over.

Mike 

As an aside, and just to get everyone stirred up, personally I would never use any woods from any rainforest anywhere, and particularly not Africa. I have travelled widely in Africa and seen the devastation going on there to provide us with fancy toilet seats and floors, and, dare I say it, wood for turning.

(Ducking for cover) 

Garfield07/03/2008 01:55:00
59 forum posts
112 photos

Mike,

Thank you for your comments.  I try where, ever possible, to use reclaimed timbers so that it hopefully cuts down on the devastation you have seen.  This pot was made from such timber.

Regards

garfield

Mike Garnham07/03/2008 07:45:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Excellent! If only everyone followed your example....   I see so much mahogany in the timber skip at the dump.

Mike 

Oddjob07/03/2008 09:22:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos

You've hit on a sore point with with me there Mike.  Like you, I often see mahogany and other re-useable timber in the timber skip at our local re-cycling centre.  I have tried on several occasions to salvage some for re-use but the authorities say no!  Once it is in the skip then there it has to stay they tell me.  I have even written to my local councillors and the County Council that operates the tip.  The response is always no!  The result - good timber re-useable in solid form is shredded for chipboard.  What a waste!  Has anyone else out there had similar problems?

Richard 

Mike Garnham07/03/2008 09:51:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Richard,

you are dead right. Actually, your local authority is at least sending the timber it collects off for some form of recycling, albeit to an inferior product (chipboard). Ours uses the timber as some form of seperation layer in its landfil sites. Criminal!

Mike 

George Arnold10/03/2008 20:42:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Hi Mike and Richard

It makes you mad to see the good wood going to waste at these tips, thers a lot of wood to be got out of a hardwood door , or an ,old pine door, sometimes what looks like real wood is nothing but cleverly venered chip board, I often get offered furniture that people say is old and has a solid wood top but they have used chip board in the furniture industry for years,

I have done a lot of work with recycled timber, in the village where I live the water mill got destroyed by fire , Atrust was set up to restore the mill , which is now completed ,  full story of this can be seen at www.stotfoldmill.org. I saved beams after the fire these where charred on the out side but inside the timber was in good condition this was mainly pitch pine , also I saved off cuts from the timbers used to rebuild the mill, the main timbers where Scotch Pine. from this timber I have turned  bowls ,pots pens clocks etc, these I have sold at the open days at the mill to raise  money towards the money needed to rebuild the mill, when I get the hang of how to put the pictures in the gallery I'll post them. George

George Arnold10/03/2008 21:01:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Sorry the web site is .stotfoldmill .com

George

Oddjob11/03/2008 09:03:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos

George

It looks beautiful.  Please hurry with the pictures.  It is really easy to upload them once you have the size right. See numerous posts in this forum on the subject.

Richard

Sparky14/03/2008 21:49:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Garfield.

Is this a suction cup lid or just a slip on one?

I do understand why Baz is interested in making one......I might just do the same with a slight difference.

Lovely design though, well done

Marc

Just going back to the recycling. If, (like me) you have a walking stick, you can legally take wood from the skip by using the stick's handle to pull the wood towards you, as long as you don't go into the skip, you should be perfectly OK.

I got quite a lot of old pine to do a job once and it was the site's manager who told me all about it. I do hope its all recycling centers and not just mine

Marc.

George Arnold17/03/2008 20:28:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Hi Richard

I have managed to down load pictures of the work with the wood rescued from the fire at Stotfold mill , you can see the state of the wood  when I had cut it open, next time I down load I will change  the numbers for caption,

George

Mike Garnham17/03/2008 20:49:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

George,

I have been involved in a number of projects relating to burnt buildings......and you photos demonstrate just how well wood stands up to fire.

If, instead of wood, the beams had been of steel, the whole building would have been a twisted wreck on the ground. Wood charrs on the outside, sealing and protecting the bulk of the timber. Structural engineers have tables for the charring depth of various timbers, and the determinant of size in a number of cases is not "how strong is it now?" so much as "will it hold the building up after a fire?"

Too many timber buildings are pulled down after a fire unnecessarily, and it is lovely to see that Stotfold Mill has been so successfully restored. Excellent!

Mike 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact