By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

sawdust etc.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
GREGORY FOWLER27/02/2008 17:26:00
13 forum posts

what do you do with your sawdust and planer chips?

I have a mechanic friend who is glad of a bag to mop up oil spills but at times I have more than he needs.  I've tried burning it but it does not burn well and the slow smoking annoys the neighbours.  I suspest the local authority dump is unlikely to welcome it for free as being business waste.  Any good tips!

Rob Johnson27/02/2008 18:02:00
378 forum posts
19 photos
Over the years it has been skipped, burnt (in an old oil drum), given away to stables and at the moment collected by a guy who breaks old cars. We try to get the bags returned to re-use as they cost a lot for the extractor systems. Some people sell the bags of shavings for animal bedding but then people expect for the bags to contain just pine shavings as some timbers may be harmfull to animals. Once worked for a company that had a huge furnace that used up all waste and provided blown air heating for the workshop. In all the choices tend to be rather limited. Are there any gardeners out there who know if it is any good for returning to the earth other than by reducing to ash first?
Elaine29/02/2008 01:16:00
2 forum posts
On the other side of the pond...During the Winter I use the chips and shavings to start fires in the fireplace. Spring through Fall, I mix everything with yard waste to compost it back into the soil. I mix it with grass clippings, leaves, etc.
dennis wake29/02/2008 17:59:00
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi all

i contacted the local council, as we are on the recycle skeem and they told me that the shavings go in to the general waste bin. so it is worth contacting yours and asking them .

Sparky29/02/2008 20:04:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos
When my clear bags are full after empying the dust bucket, I put them/it out with the dust bins for collection. There always taken away so, try that first and if it works.....Amen
Mike Garnham29/02/2008 23:15:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Anybody who composts would appreciate wood shavings, particularly if they have large quantities of grass clippings to deal with. I compost as much as my compost bin will cope with, and trhe rest goes into the "Garden Waste" bin at the local recycling centre, where it will go off for commercial composting before being re-sold as soil improver.

By putting it out for the bin-men, it simply goes to landfill, and all its potential goodness is lost. The quantities were manageable until I bought a planer thicknesser.........now they sometimes stop me at the recycling centre and ask if it is commercial waste! 

Derek Lane02/03/2008 21:44:00
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
if i put my shavings into recycling they refuse to take it because they say it could contain rabbit droppings as people try to put out there shavings from there pets hutches so i have to take it to the local tip myself (does that make sense it ends up as waste which ever way you look at it)
Sparky02/03/2008 22:25:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Mike

I put mine out for recycling.....clear bags = recycling

Both my compost bins are full and since our dog has ate the grass, we have no other use for it in our garden......nor neighbours

At least I know its going to be re-used one way or other

Marc

Olly Parry-Jones03/03/2008 16:58:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

I take mine to the local tip (recycling centre) and they always tell me to empty the bags in to the Green recycling bin; same as Mike says.

I believe you can successfully compost most timbers but, there are some - black walnut included - which can be poisonous to plants. Don't know about wildlife though.

I've always thought that animals require dust-free shavings.

Derek Lane03/03/2008 17:31:00
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

OPJ

they may need dust free shavings but try to tell our local dustmen

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Triton
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact