By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Bandsaw advice please

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Doug15/02/2008 20:35:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Hi all,

Bought a new Record bandsaw from the Ally Pally show,the BS3000X, it came with a blade but from what i`ve read its best to discard any blade you get with a new machine & buy a could quality one.

So the first question is are Record blades of a good quality. Second does anyone have any tips on setting up a bandsaw. Oh i should have said at the start i`ve never had a bandsaw before, even though i`ve been woodworking 31 years. So i`m a complete novice & would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance Baz.

Big Al15/02/2008 22:00:00
1596 forum posts
73 photos
Hi Baz Have a look at this video it may help http://s10.video.blip.tv/1410000184095/TheWoodWhisperer-Episode13BandsawSetupTuneup267.mp4 With regards to the blade, I bought a SIP 14" heavy duty bandsaw a few years ago and the blade that came with it was the best blade that I have ever had for it. Admittedly all circular saws (table, chop and portable) that I have bought came with crap blades. Al
Doug16/02/2008 21:01:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Al many thanks,

Have watched the wood whisperer, now feel more confident, the instructions that came with the bandsaw were not bad but the photographs were not very clear. It`s always a lot easier when you have watched something rather than just read about it, well at least it is for me, thanks again.

Baz.

Matthew Platt16/02/2008 22:37:00
347 forum posts
9 photos

Hi Baz,

Congratulations on your new purchase. 

One handy tip with a new bandsaw blade is to gently round over the rear (non toothed) edge of the blade with a cheap oilstone - don't use a good one as it will more than likely leave grooves in it. This will minimise the tendancy for tiny cracks to form as the steel is repeatedly compressed and stretched at the corners, therefore increasing the service life of your blade.

PLEASE make sure you clean out any sawdust and disconnect the bandsaw from your dust extraction before you do this (likewise if you ever cut metal on your bandsaw) as a big shower of sparks going up a pipe full of fine dry dust would be asking for trouble.

Cheers,

Matthew

www.workshopheaven.com

RICH KELLOW17/02/2008 00:03:00
59 forum posts

Hi Baz, Iv'e had my BS300X for 2 years now, purchased it from DM TOOLS, mine came with a free wheel kit, 3 spare blades and most importantly a dvd hosted by Alan Holtham, which took you through every step of bandsawing, from setting up to using it, if you didn't get a dvd I think you should contact Record and demand one,

regards,

Rich.

Doug17/02/2008 11:14:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Thanks for that info boys, will ring them tomorrow.

Anymore anyone ?     Baz.

Olly Parry-Jones20/02/2008 19:22:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

The DVD will definitley answer a lot of questions for you. I own a 12" SIP machine and it still helped me out a lot with that.

With regards to tensioning the blade, you'll probably find the gauge inside the machine should only be used as an approximate guide. If you're using a 1/2" blade, you'll probably want to set it to the 5/8" mark, for example.

But, it can depend on what sort of work you are doing!

Never apply tension to it's maximum capacity and aways release the tension when you don't plan on using the machine for a while. You're basically looking for enough tension not to allow the blade to slip off the wheels easily, while I also pluck the blade and listen for a nice note - not one that's so high it sounds as if it might snap!

Good luck! As for blades, I reccomend Dragon Saws (just mentioned this in another thread on this forum). Excellent customer service, very good quality blades.

George Arnold27/02/2008 19:39:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Hi All

The Record band saw master class D V D is an excellent instruction  tool. to enable you to set the band saw up correctly, but to cut straight your blades must be sharp and in good order, as to letting of the tension I leave mine on all the time, in Stiles and Bates catalogue , I think it was the 2006 they had an article about band saws, and they had found that letting on and of the tension caused the blade to crack, I don't know what other people have found out,  The blades I use come from a local saw sharpeners they join there own up , I have found that cutting melamine coated chip board soon takes the edge of the blade, and of course if you cut a lot of discs this to  effects the blade when you wish to cut straight,

I think I'll give Dragon blades a try next time I order . as they say word of mouth is the best reccommendation

George

Big Al28/02/2008 05:30:00
1596 forum posts
73 photos
Hi George MFC takes the edge of most blades and cutters in a very short space of time. At work we only use PCD (diamond) cutters on our CNC. If you dont need MFC then use something better. Al
derek willis28/02/2008 09:33:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Everyone,

One last comment about blades, whilst I always use the best blades that I can, from Tewkesbury Saw Co., A month ago I found out that I had no spares and the current blade was going awry, to get the quickest supply possible I ordered a five pack for my B.A.S.150 from Srewfix as I thought that would get me out of trouble, the first blade is still going strong, and I'm getting good results, a five pack was only £29.95, as long as I keep off the dreaded M.D.F. I have an awful lot of good cutting for this money.

Derek.

George Arnold28/02/2008 19:24:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Hi AL & Derek

I had to use MFC for some units in the spare bedroom to hold the computor  and shelves for files etc, and the wife wanted them Beech faced , normally Im cutting   bowl blanks , out of greenwood, or any other timber I can get for turning.

I did upgrade the fence on my Record band saw the one they where supplying at the time I purchased  mine was rubbish, I got one from Axminister a much sturdier fence altogether, but Record band saws are much improved now, and with a 5year guarantee that can't be bad.

George

Paul Syred28/02/2008 21:58:00
8 forum posts
hi baz. just joined today  and read your message about bandsaw blades.i have been using trucut blades for about 15 years and find them very good i use about 20 per year.They advertise in the W/W mags. you wont be disappointed.     Paul.
Roy Goodin11/04/2008 22:47:00
10 forum posts

Hello everyone,

I've recently purchased a new Titan Bandsaw fitted with a 1/4" blade, which I believe is utterly useless for the machine.  The blade is 56" in length, and I urgently need to purchase another one.  So what blade do I need?   Would a 1/2" blade cut straighter? 

Being a newcomer to bandsaws, I was pleased to see the review in Get Woodworking agreed with my findings - I was beginning to think it was just me.

Cheers

Roy

Rob Johnson12/04/2008 04:25:00
378 forum posts
19 photos

Welcome to the forum Roy,

A wider blade is an aid to cutting straight but the 1/4 " one should do so too. Check out the advice given in another thread on bandsaw set up. Will try to find and paste link .

All the best Rob.

derek willis12/04/2008 08:35:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Roy, any width blade should cut straight, I'll bet you do not have enough tension on your blade, band saw leaflets coming with the saw stress not to over tension, but, believe me, they need a lot of tension, I could play a tune on mine, it is tighter than a drum, also chech your fence for square.

Derek.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact