By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Chisels

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jason Turk14/02/2008 09:44:00
15 forum posts

Rutlands have a chisel set on sale at the moment,

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/1310306 

Does anybody know of this brand? Is it any good? I hear alot about Japanese chisels, are they better? What are the better brands and where would you purchase them.

I have a reasonable Marple's set which I sharpen on my tormek 2006, they seem to sharpen well but ding very easily, although they do reside on the van and are given a reasonably rough life. I feeling I should invest in a quality set for the workshop alone, any suggestions fellow woodies?

Rob Johnson14/02/2008 18:22:00
378 forum posts
19 photos

Any chisel will "ding" easily if not kept away from harder metals or surfaces. Rolling about unprotected in the back of a van or amongst tools in a bag is a recipe for more work grinding and honing just as contact with a hidden nail or screw in a reclaimed piece of timber would be. looking out for your tools not only makes them last longer but saves time and effort in keeping them in tip top form. Invest in looking after what you have, my marples chisels have been in daily use for 18 years, I have even had cause to use one to cut recesses into Sandstone for the cills of windows and a door frame on a job with no more than a mild regrind and hone up to show for it. Look at the cost of the tool then look at what you charge per hour for work against the small amount of time taken to look after your kit. It is the reason why I still use and sharpen my handsaws that I purchased when an apprentice.

Hope this is some help to resolve your dilemma,

Regards Rob

Andy King14/02/2008 23:12:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

Hi Jason,

I looked at the MHG chisels in Good Woodworking a couple of years back when they were being brought in by Bell Tools in Gloucester.

I thought they were excellent - they feel hard on the stone, usually a good indication that the steel is good, so hold an edge well. My test ones certainly did.

There were different types available when I looked at them, firmers, mortice and the bevel edged ones here.

The wooden handles are similar, if not identical to most European ones, including the ones that a lot of people recommend, the Two Cherries brand from Kircshen.

I've used a few of those, and the MHG seem pretty well equal. Hopefully the quality is still the same as it was a couple of years back!

cheers,

Andy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact