By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

The london woodworking show

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gavin Shaw15/02/2008 22:37:00
98 forum posts
23 photos
| think ron may have a point what we need is more fun at shows to attract the people but how you finance this is another question
Andy King16/02/2008 18:01:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Ron Davis wrote (see)

Incidently Andy, I dont mind your picture in the magazine, not one of my pin ups, but you cant have everything!

Ah, the letter I presume? I think it was from my mum!

I've always maintained that my picture is handy on the mantlepiece to keep the kids away from the fire...

cheers,

Andy

George Arnold17/02/2008 17:05:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

I forgot one plus side I got my shoes cleaned for nothing! I resisted buying the pot of polish for £10, I watched the demo of the man putting in screws, as I must have done every year I've been but I was not tempted to buy , I have found in the past these gadgets seem to work wonderfully when demonstrated but don't perform when you get them home, I wonder if any one who purchased one how they got on with it,? the kitchin cupboard has loads of gadgets that skin this peel that, chop up food, get used once and then left in the box they came in, Per haps the old adage of once bitten twice shy  comes in to play.

George

O.J18/02/2008 16:48:00
10 forum posts

Reading these last few posts, it seems like now we are saying all the wood and craft shows are lacking in attendance and general interest which i don't think is true, the Yandles and D&m shows are always packed on the days I go, I can't put my finger on it but for some reason the Good working show just doesn't cut it any more???  It's a shame  as  I like the location...

Oliver James Miles ( O.J = I changed my display name)  

Polchraine29/02/2008 15:09:00
4 forum posts

I started going to the show when it was at Wembley.   In thioe days the manufacturers were there independently and would give advice.  

Now at Ally Pally attendance and quality have gone down and down.  You approach a "manufacturers" stand and all they try to do is sell. Why? because the staff are from a retailer and this year it seemed to be PowerTek and D&M hiding under several big names.

I will NEVER go again it was a waste of time and money.

I go to the D&M show where admission is free as car parking is free too.  The manufacturers are there and will advise - selling seems secondary and you know the situation.

I emailed the organisers and received no reply from them - what is to be expected.

derek willis01/03/2008 11:50:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

The best show ever was about 5 years ago put on by Woodcut Trading from Bexhill-on-Sea and held at Wembley at the same time as the int,wood show at aly pally, packed with traders and customers, free entrance and free transport to and from station, sadly due to illness and subsequent closing down of the buisness, it did not continue.

Derek.

Paul Dennison27/03/2008 23:15:00
10 forum posts

Hi everyone as I started this topic i feel now i should add a bit more. First i was not knocking the guys who put this show on. My points were the shoddy stalls  that were trying to sell car-boot junk ( come on binoculars at an International woodworking show) and the prices of refreshments?????. I don,t mind parting with the entrance fee or the forty odd quid petrol money to get there all i ask for is my monies worth. Years ago i was invited to a building show at birmingham N.E.C by a well known builders merchant. On show was everything from log cabins to tech drawing aids,i remember there was a four lane model racing car track at the show which had an endless queue of guys waiting for a go, there was beer on the coach, free breakfast on arrival and a bag of goodies from the merchant themselves and all for free. (Those were the days). ON a serious note you mentioned suggestions were wecome, How about a few celebrities (Tommy walsh-Alan herd to name two) Tommy has an army of female fans and Allen is a very Knowledgeable guy, you also have a gallery on site why not invite those who send in thier photos to exhibit thier projects at a show and the punters vote for a winner, what a great feeling for an amature woodworker to win "BEST OF SHOW".Thanks for all the replies from my first posting Happy woodworking Paul

Paul Hillman29/07/2008 13:58:00
2 forum posts

Well lads if I may chip in?

I must agree with Bigpricey, I work for OPENMIND a CAM company and our software drives many CNC mills,mill/turnand Routers not only in the wood working sector but all manufacturing, and I have been doing various shows around the country for the last 15 years, and have seen many names disapear.

This is down to the cost being asked for floor space, and the low return you get from it. We used to take 140 square meters floor space and have 8 staff maning it at a total cost of around £120,000 and the return was less than £10K sometimes nothing at all, which is too much to lose when you consider we were doing around 8 shows a year just in the UK.

The way forward now is companies contact us and we do more one on one demonstrations at their premises, which greatly reduces the outlay, and when you consider the reason you attend these shows is to generate leads for sales of your products, then you need to be doing some serious business to break even.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact