By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

3 phase to single

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Doug27/01/2008 13:40:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Has anyone got any advice on changing an old surface planer from three phase to single phase. I have managed to mount a 2hp motor on to the machine but have been given differing advice on starters for it & don`t want to waste money buying the wrong thing. Has anyone had the same trouble?

Cheers Baz.

Neil Stoddart28/01/2008 16:50:00
3 forum posts
hey baz, just talking to a friend about this problem i found a diagram in a US book, The Workshop Book by Scott Landis. it involves putting 1phase through a 'slave' 3 phase motor. the 'slave' becomes a genertator & produces one 'output' cable. 1phase is wired into junction box with 'slave output'. you now have effectively 3phase power. there is a bit more to it. saftey breakers etc. but that is the basis. check out the book if you can. i could send you a scanned dia. if you send me your email. good luck neil
Doug28/01/2008 19:23:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Neil,

thanks for the information, ive just been on Amazon & managed to get the book you refered to for £ 6-60 so i wont trouble you for a scanned diagram, but thanks for the offer.

With regard to the single phase motor i have fitted, i had  been told that you can get a coil starter, which you can adjust the coil in, to give enough power to the motor to get the cutter block moving. Once the block is moving the hard work is done. At the moment if i power up the motor it draws 48 amps to start the cutterblock moving. This happens only for a millisecond & as the block speeds up the amps drop to the normal running of the motor. the problem with this as i under stand is the high ampage will burn out the windings. It also dims the street lights when i switch it on. So i was wondering if anyone knew about these coil starters, whether what ive been told is right or wrong or if there is anyother way of starting the motor without the high amp draw.

cheers Baz

Neil Stoddart29/01/2008 13:44:00
3 forum posts
baz, sounds like a similar device used to start up washing machines and the like when you are off grid. i don't know much about them unfortunately. diming the streetlights... you'll be popular! neil
Bob29/01/2008 17:20:00
85 forum posts

Baz,

I suggest you look at MACHINE MART (catalogue on line, but I don't know the web address), as they stock the starters only and several different types. They do this because they sell lots of different, bare motors.

Secondly, you will need to watch the loadings and the gearing as a 3 phase motor has different torque characteristics.

Have fun, Bob.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact