By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Plane and simple

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob18/01/2008 16:48:00
85 forum posts
Andy, Thank you for the above article, I had ordered a Stanley No. 5 Jack Plane before I had found this site; after picking the plane up yesterday I downloaded & printed off this article. Putting the two together, it only took me 3 hours to sort the plane out! Again, thank you; otherwise I would have thought it was me.
Tony Balboni22/01/2008 14:36:00
1 forum posts

Great article.

Too bad links to related articles are all dead.

Woodworker22/01/2008 15:13:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Hi Tony, the links should be back in place soon - it's a temporary glitch. Glad you enjoyed the article.
Andy King24/01/2008 23:21:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

Hi Guys,

glad you liked the article - in my mind you can spend a lot of time doing uneccessary work to get a plane to peform well. The basics outlined in the feature should help in most situations.

Incidentally, i've just got back from a visit to Clico in Sheffield who make the Clifton planes amongst other things, and it was a very enlightening couple of days.
it should feature in issue 200, which is just around the corner.

cheers,

Andy

Bill Bennett24/03/2008 16:28:00
1 forum posts

Helo everyone

I have among other planes a Record 4-1/2 and a 5-1/2 jack also Record, both of these planes were new when I bought them some 25 or so years ago. Over the years I have listened to and read various pieces of advice on plane sharpening and trueing, most of them, as is the above article, very good and sound. However my problem with these two planes is that no matter well they are trued up , with sharp (very sharp) blades, I always seem to have one side of the b lade with a deeper set than the other side, and although the lever can rectify this, it is obviously not correct. My own suspicion is  that the front seating of the frog is out of true. Any ideas anyone. Incidentally i also have a Norris panel panel and a Calvert Stevens smoother, no probs with them. 

Thanks

Bill

Matthew Platt28/03/2008 13:04:00
347 forum posts
9 photos

Hi Bill,

In order to find the source of the problem with your Records I'd start with easiest and most likely source and then work from there. A mis-ground frog would be incredibly rare, to find the same problem on two planes even rarer. Much more likely is a previous owner whose natural 'feel' for square when sharpening was slightly off - a little more pressure with the dominant hand over time would easily be enough to bring a blade out of square.

Using an engineers square, (not a carpenters square) check that the cutting edge of the blade is perfectly square to the sides. It may even be easier to set the blade for an even cut and then check whether the sides of the blade are out of parallel with the sides of the body. If this is the problem, it's just a question of grinding the edge back into line. Thereafter, one of Mr Kell's honing guides is the best tool to ensure everything stays absolutely square every time.

Another thing worth checking is that the front and back edges of the mouth are at 90 degrees to the sides of the plane body. This won't be a cause of the problem, but it makes it a devil of a job to set the blade up correctly and it's easy to be inadvertantly compensating when setting yor blade. Again, this is not hard to fix, a few judicious strokes with a small mill file will soon correct it.

Cheers,

Matthew

www.workshopheaven.com

Tony Royal01/04/2008 21:36:00
1 forum posts
i have a 4  1/2 stanley that i bought some 17 years ago and is the only plane i own. it served me very well over the years but i needed to use it recently and hadnt realised how bad a condition i had left it in after the last time i used it. i dont do much woodworking these days but i am planning on changing that and this article will certainly help a great deal. i am new to this site and cant believe how usefull the information is on here and how helpfull everybody is. i will certainly be a regular visitor to the site.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact