By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Mortice chisels

Cutting to length

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Stevenson17/01/2008 12:40:00
26 forum posts

I have recently bought a Record Morticer and have been told that I need to cut the drills down to 1/8th protrusion from the chisel. I have tried doing this with a normal hacksaw but don't seem to be getting very far. Is there any other way of doing this that anyone can tell me of?

Delete17/01/2008 21:28:00
575 forum posts

Before cutting the Drills make certain on the dimensions. A good start would be to insert the drill in the chuck fully then withdraw it by a small ammoune say between 1/4 and 1/8 of an inch. Then fit the chisel over the drill and see if it will locate and the lock screw hold it in the corect place if it will then I would suggest there is no need to do any cutting. If the chisel does not locate then that should confirn the ammount to trim.

The best way to trim the shaft is with a grinder. Keep a water bath handy as you must keep the shaft cool you dont want to destroy the temper with excessive heat. It is better to trim and try untill you get it correct. Its easier to take a bit more off than try to put it back on.

I hope this helps.

John Stevenson19/01/2008 12:27:00
26 forum posts

Roger B

Thanks very much for your advice, i've got a decent grinder so I shall give it a try. 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Triton
D&M Tools
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact