By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Instructors in Herts / Beds?

Tuition wanted

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Keane02/01/2008 09:53:00
1 forum posts

Hi,

Does anyone know a good instructor / training workshop in the Herts / Beds area?

I am new to woodworking, but want to improve with some proper courses. Trouble is, all I can find is in London or further afield.

I would appreciate anyone's input or guidance on recommended places to go, preferably part time / weekends.

Thanks

JK

George Arnold22/01/2008 21:09:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Hi John you are requesting information on instrucion in Beds Herts area I don't know where in the two counties you live, but if you are near to Bedford come and join the Woodturning club at Bedford Saw and Tool Co Ampthill Road  Bedford M K 429JP  Tel 01234 217417 they meet every Sat from 9oclock untill 12oclock, once a month they have a top profesional  to demonstrate, there are two good turners Roy and  Phil on hand on the saturdays to help show and advise you  on turning, the shop sells all woodturning gear, at Christmas we have a fun day members are invited to enter a competion to turn an object in ten minutes, there a raffle and food laid on, it's a real good day, you'll find the members very friendly, hope you get on with the turnig okay it is a very satisfying hobby, I took it up when I retired 13 years ago and  am still learning. Best Wishes George

Rob Johnson31/01/2008 19:15:00
378 forum posts
19 photos

Bedford Saw and Tool Co Ampthill Road ! Are they still going? I spent many a pound in their shop and many hours at the saturday morning workshop before moving away. it was a great place to find instruction and advice and so much inspiration. I remember demo's with Gary Rance and Keith Rowley amongst others. Some of the best advice though came from expierienced hobby turners. Will have to get up to see them now I am back in the UK.

John what sort of training are you after? ie: Is it tool usage or materials to use or techniques,joints and the like? let me know as I may be able to offer some help. I have been in the trade for 25 years and covered most aspects of woodworking.

Regards Rob

John Keane 231/01/2008 22:23:00
1 forum posts

Thanks for the response folks.

I am between Letchworth and Stotfold, so Bedford might be a good option.

I have no real experience apart from 15 years ago in school, so a complete beginner for all intents and purposes. I'd like to get into cabinet making, but understand that I'd need to cover the basics to start with.

I'll see if I can't get myself down to Bedford one of these weekends and get started.

Thanks again.

JK

George Arnold01/02/2008 19:56:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Yes Rob, Bedford Saw is still very active Gary Rance and Stuart King are regular visitors, they come and judge the Christmas fun day as well as demonstrating during the year. Roy and Phil are still instructing on Saturdays, The demo for Sat  2nd Feb is Les Thorne, 9-30 to 3-30. Good luck John in your search for instruction,Bedford saw is woodturning but you might find some  one at the club who is a cabinet maker they are a mixed bunch from all trades, 

Best Wishes \George. 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact