bob the builder23/12/2007 18:45:00
44 forum posts
3 photos
ben have you got any drawings of this
Woodworker24/12/2007 12:20:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles

Hi Bob, I'm afraid I haven't. All I usually do for projects like this is work it out with a few rough sketches on paper. Then I work out the cutting lists from the sketches. You can almost treat the cutting lists like technical drawings. If you draw out each component on a board of mdf or ply before cutting it should be quite straight forward.

I've found it to be a useful jig though, especially for picture frames with a difference.

Best of luck,
Ben

Woodchip07/04/2008 16:59:00
380 forum posts
7 photos

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the concise instruction here. Now, I am in the market for a drill-press, but I want a table with 'tee-slots', (like the one you are using), rather than a table with the common diagonal slots fitted to most preses. It's easier to make an MDF work-table to fit Tee-slots.

So may I be cheeky, and ask 3 quick questions?

1) What is you the make and model of your drill press?

2) Can the head of the machine be lowered right down, to enable the base to be used as a drill-table?

3) Is the supplementary table you are using provided with the press, or did you have to replace one with an X shaped slot?

Much obliged.

John

Woodworker07/04/2008 18:04:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Hi John, The drill press is a bench mounted Axminster ND12, here's a link: http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-ND12-Pillar-Drill-21711.htm As you'll see, the table is included. It's a great little drill press for the kind of jobs I get up to in the workshop. Only downside is regarding your second question, the travel maxes out at around 60 mm, but could be increased slightly by removing the depth stop nuts. The table has a quick release clamping mechanism for raising and lowering the table. All in all, not bad for £70! Hope that helps. Ben
Woodchip07/04/2008 19:00:00
380 forum posts
7 photos

Thanks very much Ben.

I don't give my drill stand much wellie at the moment, so I reckon a £70.00 job from Axminster should see me out.

Much obliged again.

Regards

John 

Woodworker07/04/2008 19:32:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
My pleasure John. The iron castings seem up to the job. My machine is about 4 or 5 years old now and hasn't given me any trouble.
Woodchip07/04/2008 19:37:00
380 forum posts
7 photos

Thanks again Ben.

I never had any gripes with Axminster stuff over about twenty years so I already loking for my card.

Will this drill cope with the long augers, with the octagonal shafts btw?  Just a final check before I flash the plastic!

Thanks

John

Woodworker07/04/2008 19:50:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Hi again John, I would avoid auger type bits – It's one thing in a brace where you're completely in control, but quite another thing in a drill press. I tend to use Forstner bits instead which do a great job. Axminster have some reasonably priced sets (I don't have shares, honest!): http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=22051&name=forstner&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=4 Hope that helps, Ben
Woodchip07/04/2008 19:54:00
380 forum posts
7 photos

Thanks Ben..

I don't have shares either,  but I've spent enough money there to qualify!  

Thanks again for the advice. It's appreciated

John

Woodworker07/04/2008 20:10:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
It's funny John, I was there this afternoon and suggested they should either start issuing their customers with gold cards or nectar points! I dread to think how much I've spent there over the years!!
Woodchip07/04/2008 20:48:00
380 forum posts
7 photos

Well Ben, 

I like the idea of 'nectar vouchers'! When I started spending there, I was upgrading my shop. So I kept all the invoices. Like you, I dare not go through them and tot them up!  The shop I went to was their original little place in Axminster. I don't know if they still use those premises, but it was an Aladdin's Cave for sure!

I am going for one of these drills Ben and I shall make an MDF table to fit the ancillary table. It should work, as did the one I made for my old Arcoy Drill Stand. (Still have that in fact.)

There might be interest in this project, so I will try and photograph the process and find a way of posting pics.

Now I am going to see if I can raise a motgage for  10 cube of oak!

All the best.

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact