By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Aldi release power tool range

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sparky18/12/2007 21:13:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Now that Bench Drill at 34.99 sounds just right for me......I wonder if it can take a Mortise chisel attachment too??
Steve Jones19/12/2007 22:23:00
75 forum posts
37 photos
I bought a bench top bandsaw from Aldi awhile ago. Straight out of the box it wasn't that good, but after fitting a good quality blade from Trucut (their advert is in the mags) and careful setting up it's not that bad for £50.
Sparky19/12/2007 23:06:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Sounds good Steve. It will be interesting to see how cheap their tools will be and having at least 3 year warranties their quality should be good 'and' if it brings some other company prices down. BUT, I do know that good quality tools must have high prices.....shame though.
Oddjob20/12/2007 10:39:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos

I doubt that it will bring other retailer prices down in the UK.  It seems to me that all retailers stick to "Manufacturers" recommended prices without variation.  I use the quote marks because of course all, or most, power tools for hobbyists at least, are manufactured in the far East.

It seems to me that the "manufacturers" have a strong hold over retailers and insist that they keep margins high.

Delete21/12/2007 04:54:00
575 forum posts
I find that I have a conflict of interest. On the one hand I want Low prices. and on the other I want quality. It is difficult to get both at the same time. As Richard said a lot of the tools ane now made in the Far East. The quality has been an issue. I equiped my workshop with what I could afford over a period oof time and tried to get the best quality for the money available. I am now in what I consider as the maintenance phase and if a machine or tool needs replacing this is the time to upgrade. Possibly even buying a good second hand machine. I needed a Band saw with a large Throat I was lucky enough to find a Minimax.
Sparky21/12/2007 07:42:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

I totally agree Roger.

I had the same issue with a metal detector. I had far little money to buy the mid to high range machines even though many of the comments on a detecting forum said I would be replacing very soon after getting used to what a cheap one is not doing.

I bit the bullet and managed to find a used but great machine on eBay. Had for a year and still sold it on to upgrade for more than I paid in the first place. This would be the same for woodworking machines/tools if you had the money in the first place.....sadly the money isn't there and I do hope that, (as the far eastern makers are doing) advancing their technology and build to have low cost but good quality goods.

I think I'm right in saying Aldi's tools will be either German or Eastern as many of B&Q's make tools are now. Usually there is only one manufacture that makes the machines and just changes the colours and names as I found when searching for a lathe.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Triton
D&M Tools
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact