By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

I need wood!!!

cant find wood anywhere!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Wesley Budd17/12/2007 11:28:00
2 forum posts

Hi There,

Im new to the world of woodworking and i really want to start putting some projects together. The only trouble im finding is that i cant find any reasonably priced wood! I dont want to go expensive because i need to practice. The problem is i dont know any timber yards near me. Im based in Berkshire can anyone suggest anywhere that sells reasonably priced wood?

thanks

wes

Oddjob17/12/2007 14:58:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos

Try Yellow Pages.  I feel sure that you will find plenty of wood - look under Timber Merchants.  Many of them will not do hardwood but of those that do, most will supply you with useable offcuts at reasonable prices.

Alternatively, all woodworking magazines have classified ads that include timber suppliers who do mail order - not cheap though due to carriage costs.

Good luck.

Big Al17/12/2007 20:37:00
1604 forum posts
73 photos
If you dont mind traveling a bit, depending on what you are after, then I could recommend 2 timber yards. The first one is Oscar Windebank & Son Ltd, The Bassetts, Box, Corsham, Wiltshire SN13 8ER Tel: 01225 742929. They are a hardwood importer who sells mainly American and European hardwoods, and they are very reasonable. The only downsides are they are only open monday to friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm, and that you have to buy a whole plank, they dont sell offcuts, and the wood is priced by the cubic foot, plus V.A.T., and they dont machine the wood for you, all timber is sold rough sawn. But as I said they are very reasonable. The last time that I went there American Ash was about £17 per cubic foot. To work out what you have got you will need a calculator, the formula for it is quantity multiply length (all measurements in inches) multiply width multiply thickness divided by 1728 multiply by price per cubic foot multiply by 1.175 and this will tell how much the plank(s) will cost you. For example you have selected 6 planks of ash at 120 inches long by 6 inches wide by 1 inch thick at 17.50 per cubic foot plus V.A.T.. The calculation is 6 x 120 (720) x 6 (4320) x 1 (4320) / 1728 (2.5) x 17.5 = £43.75 + V.A.T. @17.5% = £51.41 If you dont mind traveling further then try yandles at martock which is near Yeovil. Their address is Yandle & Sons Ltd, Hurst Works, Martock, Martock, Somerset TA12 6JU Tel: 01935 822207. They sell smaller quantities and generally cater for the D.I.Y. enthusiast, and they also have a selection of African and central American hardwoods. Their website is http://www.yandles.co.uk , however as they deal with D.I.Y. enthusiasts, expect to pay a little bit more, but they are open monday till saturday 8.30am till 5pm and sunday 9.30am till 1.30pm. All of their prices are clearly marked on each board which include V.A.T. If there are any reclamation yards near you you may find timber there, and another source is the local free ads papers, trade it, ebay and car boot sales. Good luck with your search for timber. Bigpricey.
bob the builder18/12/2007 12:11:00
44 forum posts
3 photos
dont go near B&Q the wood is very expensive and the tools are too
Jock hollis21/12/2007 13:35:00
3 forum posts

Barnes Branch & Co.Ltd
Brook St
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
HP11 2EQ

01494 525761

01494 464582
http://www.barnesbranch.co.uk/img/px.gif

derek willis22/01/2008 09:00:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Wesley,

Look at breaking upold furniture, go to your nearest tip r recycling yard, you can find a fair bi of old chests of drawers, tables, wardrobes etc. for a pittance.

Derek

Derek Lee23/01/2008 21:39:00
4 forum posts

As my namessake above suggests, discarded secondhand furniture is a good source of seasoned timber. I used to get loads of good hardwood ( oak, mahogany etc)  from local furniture shops in the form of old headboards and tailboards which were taken away when a new bed was delivered.  The sizes were ideal for making things like coffee tables etc.  Old sideboards and wardrobes often had quite good quality knobs, handles and hinges, too ! 

Ask around -  you might get lucky as  furniture shops like to get the stuff off their hands.

Derek Lee.

Chris Short24/01/2008 15:58:00
20 forum posts
As an alternative to wasting good hardwood, quite often if I am contemplating a project that might be a little tricky, I will build it first out of softwood or even glued up MDF just to make the mistakes and get them out of the way cheaply. This also gives you a good insight into how the project might turn out
derek willis25/01/2008 09:23:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Chris,

Why would you be wasting wood, surely with a lttle aforethought and proper planning, any project should go ahead as planned without all the need to build it twice with one to throw away.

Derek

RICH KELLOW25/01/2008 21:49:00
59 forum posts

Hi Wes, I live in Reading, and I can recommend ARNOLD LAVER on the Basingstoke road in Reading, they deal in hard/soft/ exotic woods, you can choose your own, don't go on a saturday morning there's only 2 yard staff and you wait ages, they are alittle above average on prices but the timber is good and well laid out for inspection, I don't know if they provide a cutting service, I prefer to buy oversize and dimension myself. hth.

regards, Rich.

Chris Short25/01/2008 23:18:00
20 forum posts

Derek.

With respect, I consider the making of a project in softwood first as part of the planning process. This completed item is NEVER wasted and is generally donated to someone who will make good use of it.

And finally, as I enjoy constructing items from wood of all types, making it twice only adds to the enjoyment

Sebastian Pecchia06/02/2008 17:44:00
2 forum posts
dont use oscar windebanks they have been taken over by Peter Gabriel...yes the rock star....over priced and nobody has a clue. But Tyler Hardwoods of Marlborough are great...Geoff Tyler the boss is very helpfull even if you want small amounts..the quality and cost are both excellent...all the timber is Air dried (finished in the kiln).
Big Al06/02/2008 19:00:00
1604 forum posts
73 photos
Sebastian, thanks for the info on oscar windebanks, the last time that I went there it was just about to change hands and I did wonder wether the prices would go up. Pity as it was a good place to get timber from. Al
Alan Maxfield26/02/2008 13:35:00
10 forum posts
8 photos

I Have recently purchased some Mahogany and veneers on ebay, if you can find a seller that has a lot of stock and can combine the postage this can be very cheap, luckily I found a seller nearby and saved on the postage.

Alan

Andrew Main10/03/2008 13:44:00
12 forum posts

I have just joined this site, and am also keen to find a local supplier. We have a reclamation centre locally, this seems to be a good source, but the last time I looked, I think they may have a handle on wood pricing. " Bit Pricey", but still I wonder if it is cheaper than any local wood supplier.

I have just recently taken up woodworking as a hobby, as I seem to have plenty time on my hands now, "Ex Navy". Now Oil worker.

But I wonder if anyone can help me on an issue of suppliers, and types of timber for garden furniture. I live in the Elgin area, North East Scotland.

Be easy on me I'm just a sappling at the moment!

Andy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact