By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

New Yankee Workshop

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Delete12/12/2007 23:32:00
575 forum posts
How many Fans of Norm are out there. We saw lots at Exeter a few years ago. It would be great to see Norm in the UK again. It will only happen if we (the Fans) make enough noise. Even then it will cost a lot to get the man here again. How about it who want to see him and is there any company which would like to sponsor the visit. How about Axminster or Yandles or even Magicalia. Lets hear your comments.
Jamie17/12/2007 01:03:00
3 forum posts

Hi Roger

I have to admit I'm a bit of a fan of Norm, I think a lot of the appeal is the editing and production of the show, very little or no time taken showing you the time consuming or boring bits, like measuring out or setting up machines. We have had a couple of attempts to "Copy" the format probably the "Great Brittish Woodshop" being the closest, although they had to get an Australian presenter. Norm has his detractors but if we're honest he's probably done a lot towards getting folk into woodworking, so he uses a dado cutter which seems to upset some folk (I use one on my Shopsmith, a great bit of kit). Back to your thread would be nice if Norm visited our shores, maybe touring a bit, so that more folk would get a chance to see and possibly chat to the man. It's after midnight, so if I've rambled on plesase forgive me 

bob the builder18/12/2007 12:26:00
44 forum posts
3 photos
he is one of the best woodworkers i have ever seen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Delete18/12/2007 18:20:00
575 forum posts

Is anyone interested in viewing the latest Seasons of the New Yankee Workshop. The ones not shown on Discovery Real Time.

There are one or two of us who have brought the DVD's over from the USA so we can enjoy the shows which have not been seen over here. If you are interestedplease get in touch. I should point out that we are not into piracey we each buy a DVD and lend it to the other couple of people in the group.

RICH KELLOW18/12/2007 18:30:00
59 forum posts

Hi Roger, I,d be very interested in seeing the vids, I,d be very grateful if I could borrow them from you.

Regards Rich.

Sparky18/12/2007 21:26:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

I've been a fan for some years now and I do enjoy the way he comes across to the viewer. I've just recently bought his plan/DVD for the deluxe router but found it would cost to much to make (£200).....so I knocked one up from scrap wood that I had until the reddies are a bit better.

I would also love to see his new series if its possible and thankyou for the offer.

Delete19/12/2007 09:31:00
575 forum posts

Hi Sparky and Rich

I built the first Router Table. Although Norm uses Birch Ply I would suggest 18mm WPB with a modification to the base. Remove the skirt from the plan and fit 4 x 100mm Locking castors from Axminster. Axminster can also supply the insert plate. The track I brought over from the States.

If you would like to contact me on 07717 649 527 I will discuss the DVD's. I trust you will understand why I dont put a landline number on the Forum. I look forward to hearing from you.

bob the builder24/12/2007 09:50:00
44 forum posts
3 photos
the new series he is making a kitchen suposibly
Sparky24/12/2007 15:38:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Hi Bob

Yes, looks great too. Episodes 1-9 is The New Yankee Workshop Kitchen Project.

Kitchen project

Delete24/12/2007 17:34:00
575 forum posts
A small group of us are going to buy the DVD's if you are interested in chiping in. See my post of 19/12 for details.
Steve Jones24/12/2007 18:13:00
75 forum posts
37 photos

Hi all,

as I am a Norm fan as well, can any one say why we no longer see the show on British T.V. 

I emailed the Discovery Real-time channel but they didn't even have the decency to reply!

Stevie.

Sparky24/12/2007 18:18:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Hi Steve

Its still on Discovery, I usually watch it very early in the morning (5 am) then the repeats during the day and evening (weekdays). Its usually before 'This old house'.

Delete26/12/2007 18:20:00
575 forum posts

Hi Steve

When discovery Real Time hav a Forum it carried more comments about Norm than any other Thread. RT Sacked their moderator and it appeared that they gave the job to a computer. That just about says it all for the way RT think about their viewers. I agree with Sparkey they are showing some of the shows early in the morning. Not a problem if you have Sky +. The problem is they dont appear to be showing all the seasons. recently I saw season 16 and 17. As I have said before on this thread the only way to keep up with NYW is to buy it from the USA.  So far I have every programme which has been screened and all the Plans. Yes I am a Sad Bunny.

It has been announced in the trade press that Axminster are buying out Brimarc. As Brimarc are the UK distributors for NYW perhaps a lot of calls, emails and letters to Ian Styles at Axminster might precipitate a visit by Norm!!!.

Also calls to Channel 4 and 5 might get some response in the right direction. Lets give it a try.

Hope you all had a good Christmas

Roger

Sparky26/12/2007 18:27:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

That's very interesting Roger. Will look out for updates on that.

On another note. I will have to talk nicely to you regarding the programmes and plans...nudge nudge, wink wink

PS; I have noted your phone number. thankyou. Get holidays out of the way first.

Roger W30/12/2007 22:28:00
50 forum posts
8 photos

How about we ALL pester Discovery to get his new series? At the end of the day its those who shout loudest get served first. I'm going to mail them now!!

Roger 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Craft Supplies
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tormek
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact