By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Honing guides ~ six of the best

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
derek willis05/08/2008 12:07:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Jim,

My post, previous to yours, states it as I see it, I wouldn't be without my two jigs, even after all the years of sharpening by eye, and still making mistakes, I find that the edge i get with these two is far superior and accurate than ever before. 

Derek. 

Jim Beach05/08/2008 19:58:00
37 forum posts

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your reply I guess we are giving the same advice use a guide for repeatable excellent edges. I'm sure you agree that the very little extra time it takes is well reflected in the result.

Jim

derek willis05/08/2008 20:09:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

certainly.

D. 

Sooty14/08/2008 08:18:00
8 forum posts
1 photos
Where in the UK could I buy the General Honing Guide as mentioned in the above review
derek willis14/08/2008 08:27:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Sooty,

All Veritas products can be bought from Brimarc.

Derek. 

Sooty14/08/2008 15:45:00
8 forum posts
1 photos

I dont thik the guide I was referring to is made by Veritas I have just looked on the Brimark site and it was not under Veritas.

But I may be wrong?

General Sharpening GuideThis is the largest guide here and is very easy to use. The bevel angle is set by adjusting the hinge in the centre of the jig. Unusually the roller runs on the workbench behind the sharpening stone rather than on the stone itself. It is very stable and grips the blade tightly with its large central screw clamp. It's comfortable to use and easy to set.
http://www.getwoodworking.com/sites/5/images/member_albums/8479/HNGD06.jpg

derek willis14/08/2008 15:51:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Sooty,

then you know where to go.

Derek. 

Jim Beach15/08/2008 10:31:00
37 forum posts

Hi Sooty,

The type of guide I use is very similar to the Axminster Honing Guide Pt. No. 340147 and costs £5.50. It is just a simple bog standard guide that will accept chisles as well. The smaller roller makes it easier to hone a curved edge. Axminster have a web site but I'm sure you can get this type in any reasonable DIY shop.

Best of luck

Jim

Ivor the engine15/08/2008 13:07:00
270 forum posts
46 photos

Yes if you are not skilled at honing a blade which takes many years to perfect you would need an aid of some sort, thats why it's called honing, Oh! and don't let us forget about the leather or palm of your hand if you were unlucky not to a leather strop to finish of the honing of the iron "takes skill" to strop a plane blade on ones palm,

I can give a demo if i get emails to pay the medical bills,

Just my thoughts on this thread,

Ivor.

Sooty16/08/2008 05:53:00
8 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks for the replies

I have a Stanley Honing guide but I find it awkward to set up and difficult to return to a previous setting.

Might treat myself to the Veritas Mk II

Thanks again for the replies

Phil

derek willis16/08/2008 08:04:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Sooty,

I,m sure if you buy the Veritas you won't go wrong, with its automatic set up you are in the same place every time.

Derek. 

Sooty16/08/2008 09:31:00
8 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks Derek,

I will give it a go

Toothy29/09/2008 20:48:00
458 forum posts
67 photos

Hi Guys,

The advice given is good. I have a simple jig to set the projection of the blade and a guide similar to the Axminster guide. The set-up takes virtually no time and the setting is constant. The cost is also one of the least.

James 

Nick Gibbs08/10/2008 21:59:00
15 forum posts

The day I discovered honing guides changed my life! I bought a grey Eclipse 15 years ago when I purchased my first Japanese waterstones and I haven't looked back. But if you want to learn more about honing guides, there's an article in the latest issue of British Woodworking. If you haven't seen the magazine and want to take a look, just email me at nick.gibbs@britishwoodworking.com and I'll send you a free copy.

Cheers

Nick

Editor, British Woodworking

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Craft Supplies
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Triton
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact