By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Honing guides ~ six of the best

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jim Beach15/08/2008 10:31:00
37 forum posts

Hi Sooty,

The type of guide I use is very similar to the Axminster Honing Guide Pt. No. 340147 and costs £5.50. It is just a simple bog standard guide that will accept chisles as well. The smaller roller makes it easier to hone a curved edge. Axminster have a web site but I'm sure you can get this type in any reasonable DIY shop.

Best of luck

Jim

Ivor the engine15/08/2008 13:07:00
270 forum posts
46 photos

Yes if you are not skilled at honing a blade which takes many years to perfect you would need an aid of some sort, thats why it's called honing, Oh! and don't let us forget about the leather or palm of your hand if you were unlucky not to a leather strop to finish of the honing of the iron "takes skill" to strop a plane blade on ones palm,

I can give a demo if i get emails to pay the medical bills,

Just my thoughts on this thread,

Ivor.

Sooty16/08/2008 05:53:00
8 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks for the replies

I have a Stanley Honing guide but I find it awkward to set up and difficult to return to a previous setting.

Might treat myself to the Veritas Mk II

Thanks again for the replies

Phil

derek willis16/08/2008 08:04:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Sooty,

I,m sure if you buy the Veritas you won't go wrong, with its automatic set up you are in the same place every time.

Derek. 

Sooty16/08/2008 09:31:00
8 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks Derek,

I will give it a go

Toothy29/09/2008 20:48:00
458 forum posts
67 photos

Hi Guys,

The advice given is good. I have a simple jig to set the projection of the blade and a guide similar to the Axminster guide. The set-up takes virtually no time and the setting is constant. The cost is also one of the least.

James 

Nick Gibbs08/10/2008 21:59:00
15 forum posts

The day I discovered honing guides changed my life! I bought a grey Eclipse 15 years ago when I purchased my first Japanese waterstones and I haven't looked back. But if you want to learn more about honing guides, there's an article in the latest issue of British Woodworking. If you haven't seen the magazine and want to take a look, just email me at nick.gibbs@britishwoodworking.com and I'll send you a free copy.

Cheers

Nick

Editor, British Woodworking

bob the builder19/11/2007 20:27:00
44 forum posts
3 photos
I've heard honing guides are the best for sharpening a chisel. Is this true?
Woody Al19/11/2007 20:51:00
98 forum posts
Hi Aaron, honing guides are used to keep a chisel or plane blade at a consistent angle while honing on a wet stone or oil stone. They make the whole sharpening thing much easier!
bob the builder24/11/2007 20:19:00
44 forum posts
3 photos
Thanks good to know
Mike Riley25/11/2007 00:02:00
337 forum posts
5 photos
5 articles

It might be worth noting that the Veritas system shown in the article has been replaced with a newer system which is pretty much fool proof and has various addons available for skew chisels etc.

Roger W26/11/2007 21:46:00
50 forum posts
8 photos
They do make it more accurate but they make it much slower. With a bit of practice just  feel for the primary bevel, lift up another few degrees, 3 or four strokes on a diamond stone, wipe the wire edge off and job finished  before you have even  fitted the blade into the guide. For the same reason (speed) I love the Clifton cap iron. You can keep your blade sharp in a fraction of the time it would otherwise take as you don't need to remove it to sharpen, and no time wasted resetting after. If you work like this you'll sharpen the blades as soon as they need it and will enjoy the work more.
Mike Riley26/11/2007 23:36:00
337 forum posts
5 photos
5 articles

You have a point Roger that using a guide may actually discourage sharpening because of all the messing around and the time it takes to do it. I have a Veritas MK2 guide and I use it for grinding a new bevel or taking nicks out of the edge it gives me a standard repeatable straight edged bevel, but I tend to touch up the irons and chisels without the guide, couple of strokes here and there - little and often sort of thing.

derek willis09/12/2007 11:30:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

I have a veritas grinding jig also a veritas honing jig, both of these were bought with the vouchers from Good-wood hints and tips pages. With a well ground edge there is very little honing to do, sometimes I will use the honing jig and sometimes not, and it takes no time to set up, I use both at a constant setting of 30degrees and I have a superb edge every time, it is quite possible to round off the bevel when honing, as many do, but with a jig this is not possible.

D.

Jim Beach05/08/2008 11:50:00
37 forum posts

Hi Aaron,

A couple of years ago I bought a David Charlesworth DVD 'Hand tool techniques, Part 1: Plane Sharpening'. This DVD is a must have for anyone starting out, it has made a huge difference to the pleasure I get from my planes. David advocates the use of a honing guide and I know that some people will say he is probably too much of a perfectionist but it works for me.

Regards Jim

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Craft Supplies
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Triton
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact