By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Armchair Woodie

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Wardley30/10/2007 19:49:00
4 forum posts

Hi folks.

Can anyone tell me if they, or anyone they know have had any success in getting into serious woodworking and even supplementing their income at a more mature age?

The reason I ask is that since changing my career at the age of 50 from the motor trade into DIY retail I have been looking to developing my interest in woodwork with a view to supplementing my income, what would be nice is my own shop but living in a terraced house with no garden for a shed shop means my tools are mothballed at the moment.

I have always been interested in DIY and joinery since my Father, a journeyman joiner and shopfitter, taught me some of the basics and gave me my interest in wooding at an early age, however when it came to leaving school I chose my elder brother's trade and went to work on the internal combustion engine, a decision I now come to regret.

I am wondering if it is feasable to make any sort of career out of basic woodworking possibly developed with courses at nearly 51 or am I living in cloud cuckoo land, the lack of somewhere to operate is my biggest obstacle at the moment.

Any comments,  Cheers, Steve

Woodworker30/10/2007 20:41:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Hi Steve, Have you thought about making fitted furniture? I used to make money building cabinets for interiors and awkward spaces. And, because much of the work can be carried out on site it's not so important to have a big workshop ~ most of the work can be done out of the back of a van! There's also kitchens, which can be built/fitted in many different ways. There seems to be good demand for them too. Here's some books that might be of interest. They're a bit dated, and American, but I've still found them very useful resources:

Hope that helps...

Edited By sparky on 23/07/2009 17:17:10

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact