By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

copyright ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Allebone02/10/2007 23:06:00
50 forum posts
42 photos

Hi

I read Steve's post about creative woodturning software, sorry Steve can't help but in your right up you said about copying others work. That got me thinking, If an item anyone wishes to copy or make their version of & said item had a copyright against it, then same said item turned up in a book or mag with a 'HOW TOO' article does that copyright still stand ?

Thanks David

Bob Chapman05/10/2007 21:59:00
47 forum posts

It's an interesting question. Are actual turnings copyrighted to the people who turned them? I don't know, but your question made me think about paintings. I often see people, who I take to be artists, sitting in art galleries making sketches etc from the paintings hanging there. Are they infringing copyright because they are making copies?

Of course, the copies won't be identical to the originals (if they are, I believe its called 'forgery', and is frowned upon), and this applies to woodturning even more so, since no two pieces of timber will ever be identical even if the shape were accurately reproduced.

Is it the design which is copyright, rather than the actual finished turning? If so, presumably the copy would have to imitate the shape exactly before copyright was infringed? As an author of 'how to' articles myself, I consider that publishing an article (usually complete with photographs) showing how to make a particular item is tantamount to agreeing that anybody else can feel free to make a copy, i.e. copyright has been waived.  If not, what would be the purpose or usefulness of such an article?

Is there a woodturning lawyer out there who could give us some definitive answers?

Bob

Mike Riley06/10/2007 21:59:00
337 forum posts
5 photos
5 articles

F&C magazine often publish plans and "how tos" The plans however are clearly marked copyright and state that plans are for the private use only and that items built using the plans must not be for resale.

Cheers Mike  

Big Al07/10/2007 09:53:00
1602 forum posts
73 photos
I cant see how a copyright on a piece of woodwork can legally work. With regards to copyrights associated with plans, wether they are given away or purchased, then surely the copyright relates to the plans, not to the finished piece. At the end of the day I am sure most woodworkers would make changes to any piece that they make as a moulding or a dimension may not fit in with the individuals requirements. And also if someone either copied, or was inspired by one of my pieces, it would give me great satisfaction to know that.
Mike Riley07/10/2007 11:31:00
337 forum posts
5 photos
5 articles

Lots more info on the hows and whys of design copyright here.

http://www.acid.uk.com/

Cheers Mike  

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Triton
D&M Tools
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact