By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Hand v Power Tools

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Jones27/09/2007 20:00:00
75 forum posts
37 photos
Evening to everyone, as I had an argument with the mitre/chop saw in work the other week,(one badly cut and fractured finger later...oooh it hurt!). I've had a bit of time on my hands,anyway there's only so much day time telly you can take. So i took my self off to the shed (for sanity's sake),having recently looked on the t'internet for a turning project (If you haven't  already, check out www.MarleyTurned.com and watch the videos). I decided to have a go at the Christmas ornament. I had a piece of Beech to use, but as most of my tools are locked up in work and I haven't got any power gear at home it was back to basics. After cutting the Beech to the sizes I need  I had to plane it up square.Face side and face edge then to width and thickness. The only tools I have at home are a Tennon saw, Panel saw, Hammer ,1" chisel, tape,square and my dads old Jack plane.At first I thought it might be a daunting task, but  what i'd been taught as an  apprentice soon  came back to me. The blanks are  partly glued up now. And do know what, with no noise I had a great time.I think its nice to get back to basics, as when in work there is no time these days to do it all by hand! and using surface planer/thicknessers does tend to make you a little lazy.What does every body else think?
Big Al27/09/2007 21:23:00
1602 forum posts
73 photos
I love to work with hand tools, even though I am a wood machinist, I have access to cnc and traditional machinery, and have my own collection of machinery and hand tools. Likewise there is a lot to be said when the only sound that you can hear is the whoosh of a hand plane and the radio or the sound of birds singing Yes machinery can make you lazish, but it does speed up the process of milling up your timber.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Triton
D&M Tools
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact