By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

P.U.glue.

How do you clean your hands.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew Nicholl12/09/2007 08:41:00
38 forum posts
1 photos

Hi everyone, I have been using P.U. (polyurathaine Glue) glue recently and did not use any hand protection and now have everlasting black marks on my hands, does anyone know of a substance that will clean it off skin?  I hope this will help others to not make my mistake and remember to use some form of hand protection.

Thanks, Andy.

Woodworker12/09/2007 10:57:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Hi Andy, Not sure if this'll work with dried PU glue but I find sugar and washing up liquid really good. Put a heaped teaspoon of sugar in the palm of your hand then pour a good helping of washing up liquid over the top. Now rub in, the more vigorously you rub the more dirt comes off. It feels strange at first but the sugar acts as an abrasive which is why it cleans so well. It's also water soluble so doesn't leave a residue on your hands. Like I said, I'm not sure if it'll work with PU glue but it works for loads of other hard to clean stuff, like engine oil, and it's always handy to know! Cheers, Ben
Andrew Nicholl13/09/2007 19:48:00
38 forum posts
1 photos
Thanks ben, will give it a go, gripfill recomended pumise stone.
Andys Woodshed13/09/2007 21:00:00
5 forum posts

I'm afraid you are going to have to wait until you grow some new skin on your hands.

Usually takes a couple of weeks

Well that's how long it took to get the black marks from my hands when I did the same mistake

Andy

Big Al18/09/2007 17:20:00
1604 forum posts
73 photos
Prevention is better than cure, buy yourself some disposable silicon gloves and put these on when you us the P.U. and when finished, throw them away. disposable silicon gloves are available from machine mart, screwfix and a box of 100 costs around £5.50. Click this link http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A331066&ts=32330&id=17339 for more info. Alan
Andrew Nicholl18/09/2007 22:48:00
38 forum posts
1 photos
Thanks everyone, I tried the suger with soap Ben but it did not work sorry, as for disposable gloves I had some but forgot to put them on thanks anyway bigpricey, i did try the pumise stone as advised by gripfill and that works quite well, so if any body does the same thing, get yourself one and scrub up, all the best to all, Andy.
Steve Jones27/09/2007 19:24:00
75 forum posts
37 photos
Hi Andy, you and me both. I think sometimes you just get ahead of your self in keenness to get a project glued up. I know I do even though the gloves are sitting on the bench!By then it's usually to late!! As you've found out hot water,soap and a good quality Pumice stone are the only way. That and a little more haste. Happy woodworking Steve.
Philip Edwards08/10/2007 21:23:00
16 forum posts
7 photos
3 articles

Andrew

I've heard nail varnish remover works, too.

Hope this helps

Phil

Gavin Shaw20/10/2007 21:27:00
98 forum posts
23 photos
This is a constant problem in our workshop and while dispoable gloves work ok you still have to remember not to pick up anything while wearing the gloves or you just spread the glue around.Apart from the black marks does anyone know if it does any real harm if not maybe you just have to accept it and rely on an understanding family and friends
Steve Jones20/10/2007 23:04:00
75 forum posts
37 photos
Hello Gavin, I just tried Googling PU adhesive and it turns out it can be quite nasty stuff. You can get occupational dermatitis, using nail varnish remover will strip the oils from your skin, its flammable you certainly don't want it in your eyes.Apart from that its very good at doing its wood sticking job. Steve.
Workshop Essentials21/10/2007 19:48:00
2 forum posts
Acetone (AKA Nail varnish remover ) will  do the job while the PU is still wet, but I don't know of anything which will get rid of the black dried stuff. PU really is a mixed blessing!
Gavin Shaw22/10/2007 21:29:00
98 forum posts
23 photos
Thanks steve and steve it certainaly is good stuff for some jobs,although did you read the glue tests in a recent issue of Fine Woodworking which seemed to say good old PVA is hard to beat for simply sticking 2 bits of wood together with clamps.Guess its a case of horses for courses and careful with the PU if you are not planning to join the black hand gang!    
derek willis05/12/2007 13:21:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

I always keep some cellulose thinners by me in the workshop for thie sort of thing, superb.

D

Delete12/12/2007 23:05:00
575 forum posts
kkk
Delete12/12/2007 23:07:00
575 forum posts
I use Pu glue and Epoxy Resin a lot and I have got in the habit of using Gloves. It can be a pain but if you get in the habbit you dont end up a member of the Black Hand Gang. (I always wondered what Jimmy Clithero meant by The Black Hand Gang. now I know)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact