By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Welcome to the turning section

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy King14/09/2007 22:32:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

Any green as grass woodturners might be interested to know that we are about to start a feature of the woodturning novice (ME!) in Good Woodworking. Our resident genius woodturner Dave Roberts will be taking me under his wing to teach me the basics, with my thoughts on what I found easy or hard and Dave explaining why it can be so, and how to overcome problems, tool selection, you name it, he'll hopefully show me. Or punch me!

Once it's up and running, any readers with problems that they need help with can ask away and we'll try and build it into a 'how to' in the mag, with me hopefully trying to do turn the actual piece or technique that's a problem, and make my own comments and conclusions and Dave will then show and tell us all how to do it properly!

Andy

Steve Jones24/09/2007 23:02:00
75 forum posts
37 photos
Best of luck Andy, as a relative newcomer to woodturning (18 months and counting) my self I know your in for a treat! And being tutored by Dave Roberts you lucky chap.I think it's a pretty steep learning curve,Ive been under the wing of Ray Jones from Liverpool(KnottyAsh would you belive),the dig ins  and catches  where a plenty to start with and the pile of shavings was vast. But under Rays patient tutelage the pile of shavings and the catches are getting less.I hope the same goes for you, and that you enjoy it as much as I do! Best of luck, can't wait to read about your exploits in G.W. Keep those bevels rubbing,...Steve. 
Andrew Nicholl15/10/2007 17:21:00
38 forum posts
1 photos
Hi everyone, can anybody tell me if the myford ml8 lathe is any good, against the union graduate, I will be looking to get a lathe soon and these are two choices so far, thanks for any help, Andy. 
David Stone18/10/2007 19:04:00
6 forum posts

Hi Andrew, I've heard the myford is a very good lathe, unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of using one. The only drawback I can think it may have when turning larger items is the amount of shake because it doesn't have a solid base.

I've only been turning for the last three years so I'm no expert. But a couple of years ago I upgraded my Record lathe & bought a Wivamac DB801 which I can fully recomend, I think it would be worth your while checking it out. The web address is www.toolpost.co.uk/ & the before & after service is excellent.   

Charles Fellows09/12/2007 12:08:00
19 forum posts

I have a lathe which is marketed under various names i.e. Fox, Draper. amongst others; it is the one whith the variable speed control, and the heavy cast iron bed.I recently tried to replace the "Multistar" chuck with a more convenient chuck which uses a "T" bar wrench tool.

On trying the first chuck it was not running true as was the replacement, but the machine ran true when a 150 mm faceplate was fitted. in the event both chucks were returned.

I must admit that the machine is quite old but nether the less I have turned some decent work on it.

I would welcome any suggestions.

smiggy10/04/2008 10:22:00
29 forum posts
Hi everyone, i think its great having a wood-turning section .i,ll be reading every thread.The problem i have is the sharping of my gouges,spindle and bowl. But a few weeks ago i had the pleasure of meeting Mike Swain,in the short time i was with him i learnt more about sharpening than any books that i,v read. I ,v made myself a new jig based on what Mike showed me. I also had a look at some of Mikes turnings, i was gob smacked, so thin so smooth. what a craftsman. So if anyone has the chance of watching an expert at work take it.Tony.
T.allan Jones10/04/2008 15:07:00
82 forum posts
8 photos
Yes I don't have a jig for sharpening my tools but I have a grinder.I'm probably not as sharp a tool sharpener as I would like to be. Is this the reason why the wood has little bits missing (like little chips) or is it the technique that causes it? Also the wood is not a particularly smooth finish on it. It is dry seasoned wood, usually second hand something or otherThat I pick up for free.
Doug10/04/2008 19:13:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

T.A.J,

If i could only recommend one thing to you, it would be to get a copy of Keith Rowley`s "Woodturning a foundation course". I`ve only been turning for a couple of years, but it`s amazing how many people have recommended this book to me, professional & amateur turner alike.

It answers all the questions you have asked & much much more, get a copy, you wont regret it.

Baz.

tom buckley22/04/2008 16:41:00
4 forum posts

Hi all,

I am looking at buying a Record Power CL1 lathe.  This will be my first lathe, do you thinks it is a wise buy.

Appreciate you opinion's.

Tom 

Steve Jones22/04/2008 17:52:00
75 forum posts
37 photos

Hi Tom,

The CL1 is a good Lathe, and if your  going to take up turning seriously then go for it. But if youv'e never turned any thing in earnest before then I'd visit either a dealer demo day or a woodworking show where you can try before you buy. And join your local wood turning club who will be happy to help.

But the best bits of advice I can give to you ( and I was told this) is

1. Get your self enrolled on a wood turning course, there is nothing better than being taught by a pro from the start as this way you don't pick up all those nasty habits that form if you try to teach your self. And you will find out if turning is for you before you spend a lot of money!
  2. However I would also purchase the late and great Keith Rowley's book and DVD called Wood turning a Foundation Course,  this in my humble opinion has got to be the wood turners bible.      

Hope this has helped a bit, hope you enjoy wood turning, best of luck.

Stevie

Ralph Harvey22/04/2008 20:40:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Andy King

I think it is a great thing for any turner to get the type of start Dave can offer, i know because he tought me the basics many years ago. but i think rather than going through the employees of your magazine why not offer it to a reader who could benefit from this type of a start.

Never the less good luck it's quite an experiance that will never leave you !

Ralph Harvey22/04/2008 20:44:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Sorry just seen the date on the forum point didnt realise it was about the article just finished in Good Woodworking never the less i still think it would be a good start for another reader,
Gordon Strachan24/04/2008 09:53:00
2 forum posts

HI am thinking off upgrading my lathe and have been loking on ebay

can anybody tell me the diference between the union graduate lathe and the union jubilee.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Triton
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact