Timber sources

Let us know your recommended sources

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chopper25/11/2007 17:19:00
4 forum posts
1 photos

Hi all

I'm in Kendal Cumbria and i get my timber from a tree surgeon at Lindale, he has ash oak cherry in planks along with lots of goodies for the wood turner.

Yesterday i bought 4 lenghts of ash (section through) about 18" wide just over 7' long and 2" thick, along with a piece of beech (for the boss' new chopping board) 2.5' long 2' wide 2" thick for £65. I think this was a good price.

I investered in a kiln last year from arrowsmiths just a hobby, this will dry enough wood for me, and is a convienient wood store as its under a bench.

Anyway back to topic does anybody know where i can get locally cabinet grade ply and faced ply

Thanks

Woodworker25/11/2007 17:33:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Hi Chopper, Champion timber can be quite good on veneered board material: www.championtimber.com Not sure if there's a branch near you, but if there is their worth a visit. Also, you could try Timbmet, they deliver all over the country and do all sorts of board materials: http://www.silverman.co.uk/ How is the kiln drying going? I'm really interested to hear more about it. Cheers, Ben
Glynne Roberts25/11/2007 20:51:00
11 forum posts
Back to Paul. Have you seen: - http://www.monmouthshiregreenweb.co.uk There doesn't seem to be too much North Wales, but a bit more in the South? I would seriously try Ambrose McGrath - yes I am Scouse but they will do you a deal!!
Jock hollis21/12/2007 13:39:00
3 forum posts

Barnes Branch & Co.Ltd
Brook St
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
HP11 2EQ

http://www.barnesbranch.co.uk/

Great bunch of guys very helpfull and thier orices are very good

Chipper07/01/2008 21:43:00
30 forum posts
18 photos

My local friendly wood supplier is

S. L. Hardwoods
390 Sydenham Road
Croydon
CR0 2EA

Tel: 020 8683 0292
Fax: 020 8683 0404
Email: info@slhardwoods.co.uk

Most of their custom is done over the internet although I've never bought wood online.  My projects up to now have been relatively small and few and far between so browsing and buying wood is all part of the fun!

Simon Emery10/01/2008 01:02:00
3 forum posts
Any decent timber merchants in the Derby area?
Olly Parry-Jones24/01/2008 12:10:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

I took my first trip down to Yandles recently and I left feeling very impressed with what I had seen. An excellent stock of all kinds of turning blanks - the stock was never-ending! The timber is expensive if you're looking for a regular supply but they do stock some very exotic timbers you perhaps won't find in many other yards.

Good range of machinery on show and tools too. And there's a cafe!

What more could you want?!

I've also heard good things about Oscar Windebanks in Box, near Bath. They supposedly have some very competitive prices on hardwoods. Might be worth a look one day.

Chris Short24/01/2008 15:54:00
20 forum posts

There is a guy from just outside Kirkby Stephen in Cumbria who sells most hardwoods both directly and on ebay. Most of his ebay sales are bundled quantities of harwood PSE. This greatly reduces the work involved for us. I made the 600 mile round trip from South Wales last weekend to collect my ebay purchases of Oak, Ash, Spalted Beech and Sycamore. The timber was all very good quality and even with the travelling costs still worked out cheaper that buying it locally.

The guy is called Stephen James Myers 

Chopper24/01/2008 17:10:00
4 forum posts
1 photos

Chris,

do you have an address for this guy, i only live a few miles away from Kirkby stephen.

or his ebay name

thanks

Chris Short26/01/2008 22:11:00
20 forum posts

Chopper..

He seels from home at Nelson House, Kember 

Chris Short28/01/2008 08:39:00
20 forum posts
SELLS even!!!     got my E's in one L of a mess there
Chris Short28/01/2008 08:44:00
20 forum posts

Sorry guys, but I got this ebay seller's details  wrong. See the link below to him . His name is James Michael Cartwright   (must take more water with it!!)

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/jamesmichaelcartwright/

Dust Busker01/02/2008 13:02:00
15 forum posts

I've also just bought some timber (yesterday 31 January) from Mr Cartwright in Kaber, near Kirkby Stephen. He has facilities for sawing from full logs, kiln drying, planing/thicknessing and indoor storage.  Quite a variety of timber available. I,m very happy with my purchase of maple and cherry. Even with the travel cost from here in Cheshire to Cumbria it was well worth the trip.

Dust Busker

Marta Heine12/12/2017 01:42:08
1 forum posts

I totally agree with you guys. It is indeed tricky to find a source that offers the solution that can possibly hit for any hardwood problem right on the center. Plus the number of local manufacturers of timber such as oak timber can't be counted by your fingers so it becomes even more confusing to distinguish the right one for you. I guess, nothing beats experience which build up one's branding or name. So I suggest it is best to go with the top names.

Martin Grindell14/12/2017 14:50:58
8 forum posts
2 photos

Chopper,

Back to your original query, not sure if it's any good for your needs but you can get sheets of okoume and sapele ply (whole, half and quarter sheets) from Fyne Boat Kits in Gatebeck.

Cheers

Martin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chris Tribe Furniture
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact