By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

How is GW for you?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Woodworker05/09/2007 10:47:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
I'd like to hear what you think of GetWoodworking. What works for you and how can we improve the site. Please don't hesitate to let me know by posting your comments below. Alternatively, feel free to start a whole new thread with a different subject.
steve h11/09/2007 14:01:00
403 forum posts
128 photos

I don't know if anyone has tried uploading an image yet, but 12kb, thats a few lines of text, pictorially, that a knats ****, or fine a woodshaving!

I have tried every concievable way to get an image down to this size & "failed" - sounds similar to my wood working skills - any recommendations?

steve h11/09/2007 14:24:00
403 forum posts
128 photos
Sorry, just figured it out - complete muppetry on my part - ignore the last comment - it was knats 'wing' by the way!
A Kelly14/09/2007 15:11:00
2 forum posts

How about you posting the publication dates for the magazines on the home page so that we can get them as soon as they come out. And before you give me the 'Why don't you subscribe and get them delivered to your home?', I can't subscribe to all three mags

Cheers, Alex.

Steve Jones21/09/2007 12:16:00
75 forum posts
37 photos
     Hello to you all, I have to agree publishing dates and whats in the mags for forth coming issues would be a great idea. Also how about publishing project plans of projects featured in past issues???
bob the builder21/11/2007 20:38:00
44 forum posts
3 photos
It would be great to see a section on this site devoted to plans for projects made by the people who are members on this site.
Thomas Phillips05/12/2007 00:20:00
21 forum posts
1 photos

Sometimes, but only sometimes, you get a real bargain being advertised quite often due to end of line tooling, overstock, or suchlike.

It would  be handy if this sort of thing could be posted on this site.

But only by members!. Not the sellers. 

Maybe only when 2 or 3 members agree that it seems a real bargain.

Wonder if this could be set up to work safely. Possibly we could all save a bit.

Woodworker05/12/2007 00:25:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Hi Thomas, why not just use the forum?
Roger W09/12/2007 20:16:00
50 forum posts
8 photos

I tend to get bogged down in paperwork, so I cut out and keep only articles and plans I'm interested in. Istill can't find anything. I also get Plans and tips from a couple of electronic newsletters that I subscribe to. (should I mention names?)

Now these are mostly PDF files, and those that aren't I "print" to that format with a little shareware converter. Filing on / in the pc is easy.

Now to get to me suggestion. How about publishing articles, plans etc from the magazines on the site Some months after publication in the magazines, or alternativly accessable only via a unique ID reference to subscribers. To prevent these being circulated every ID would access each article or plan only once. We could download our own copy and filing solved.

ps I love the site. It's the best woodworking forum I've found. 

dennis wake07/01/2008 22:14:00
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi Ben

the site is very good i visit it regularly to see what has been posted.i also get all the wood working magazines that are out. how about doing a monthly project that we could all try,not to hard to start with but also something that we could get our teeth in to.also giving us all an insight in to the approximate cost that each project may cost in and the material used.as i won the dew alt dove tailing jig from on of the magazine and have not yet had the chance to try it how about a project that would use that.and maybe then i can post a write up of the jig.

Sparky08/01/2008 23:02:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Taking up Roger's comment.

Would be nice if some free plans where available for download on this site.

Perhaps some users of this site have some from projects they have made or jigs like your (Ben) bench dog..........some things look so simple but are worth so much to people who struggle to hold things down to table/bench tops.

Or, things that people have found helpful doing certain jobs (home made jigs). As oneday we all will do a project that will need just that item/object to help.

Here's one thing I thought of to soften the accidental impact when using pine against the hard beach bench top (I'm clumsy like that ). Cork tiles stuck on the bench does both protect the wood your working with, tools as well as the bench surface. They became free after taking them off my daughters bedroom wall for her pictures when we decorated it.

>>>> SEE HERE <<<<

Woodworker09/01/2008 23:15:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles

Hi all, good suggestions, keep them coming...

Roger, it's a great idea. At the moment though we don't have the resource for this level of uploading. I currently do everything on the site, from day to day tasks, to formating and uploading articles and dealing with technical issues and emails. It's amazing just how much time it takes up. It's early days though, so perhaps there will be room for this in the future.

Sparky, another good idea. I'll look into it. It's been one of the more popular requests on the forum recently so I hope to be able to do some kind of tie up with the magazines in future whereby we can have digital copies of plans for projects.

I do try to make the articles as informative as possible and include dimensioned diagrams where possible. For example, this article has cutting list information and a dimensioned 3d view. How useful do you find this sort of information?

Thanks all,
Ben

Woodworker10/01/2008 15:48:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Hi Dennis, it might be worth incorporating your idea into a future competition on the site. I wonder how many people would be interested in doing projects that we set on GW?
dennis wake10/01/2008 21:47:00
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi Ben

think it is a good idea may have to have a go doing a project and a write up of how i actually did it.with photos as well that is if i can set it all up and send it to this sight.

Olly Parry-Jones24/01/2008 12:16:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

What about a drop-down menu for selecting one of the other forums?

You could change forums in two clicks then; without having to click "Forum", wait for that page to load; choose the forum you want and then wait for that to load up.

Just a thought.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact