By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Please help. All advice appreciated

Planning stages to become woodworker

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Chang27/06/2020 05:11:31
1 forum posts

I have recently taken an interest in taking on woodworking as a hobby. I’ve done quite a bit of research and have quite a few questions in regards to strategically planning how I enter this hobby. I have currently mapped out a list of tools and materials I need to begin creating a workshop with the end goal of fine furniture and cabinetry. I also want to have my whole plan on order before I dive headfirst into this so I don’t become someone who buys tools that I ultimately won’t use. I plan on heading out on Black Friday this year with my full list in hand and a budget of $2400 to get everything I need. I am shooting for quality over quantity and have a few questions in regards to what I’ve come up with. I also am in the middle of making plans to move into a bigger house that can accommodate my space needs. My overall plan is to take this list and first focus my start into this craft by focusing solely on building jigs, benches, and tables for all of my primary power tools (example: buy router and Freud bits and make the routing table, portable table saw, etc). I want to mainly ask two questions to start of with. The first being about setting up shop to get started before I move.

1) the place I live doesn’t have a garage. I have a shed I could clear out to some degree and make space, but I worry about my new tools outside. Is there a workbench design that can ultimately Keep my tools portable so that maybe I can work outside on sunny days and then conveniently remove said power tool to bring inside to prevent weathering damage? And if so, does that also mean that the wooden bench itself which will be left outside may not do so well with weathering and moisture either? (Such as warp and ruin the flat surface by which I utilize my tools). Or maybe any other ideas on how to solve this “zero space” issue?

2) Aside from random stuff like woodpecker precision squares, clamps, etc… I could list everything but that list is quite big. I am researching everything and every tool and I do feel quality and precision go hand in hand. I also do understand that the quality of stock you use plays a key role in how the effectiveness of your jigs function. I do want to list the tools I think are relevant to discussion are as follows:

DEWALT Router Fixed/Plunge Base Kit,
DEWALT Sliding Compound Miter Saw, 12-Inch (DWS779
DEWALT
Dewalt DWE7491RS 10” Tablesaw

From what I can gather, with these and the appropriate blades, bits, and DIY tables to fit, I can create jigs that take the place of other tools such as jointers and planers. Even seen I could build a drill press. Am I looking at this wrong?
Also… is it a better idea to scratch off the miter saw and invest more in a table saw since TS sleds with miter gauges essentially can do everything that a miter can but with more precision..(saying I can build sleds and other jigs with Dimensional accuracy?)
I do understand that there is quality issues with portable table saws and I’m not really sure iff the route I’m choosing is effective. Efficiency of cost I think is on point, but will I be disappointed with the results that I will be going for?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact