By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

How to modify this design - outdoor sofa

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Joel Brown19/05/2020 12:06:42
1 forum posts

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and woodworking in general!

I'm looking to create an outdoor sectional sofa, and came across this plan: **LINK**

It looks pretty easy for a beginner, however I do have some concerns over just how strong some of the joints are. From trying to do my own research I understand that screwing into the end face is a big no no, and that seems to happen a lot in this project.

It appears that pocket joints may be a suitable alternative, but again I've read they aren't the strongest. I've seen M&T joints and adding in hardware also suggested...

Is anyone able to offer up any advice as to how to adapt the design to make it more robust?

Thank you all in advance and looking forward to learning more!

Joel

Cedric Wheeler22/05/2020 11:17:43
154 forum posts
31 photos

Hello Joel

I haven't looked at this design in detail, but modern screws will hold in end grain providing that the screws go into the end grain at least 40mm. If you are a beginner at woodworking any mods might be beyond your capabilities.

Also put clearance holes through the timber that you are joining so that the joints pull up tight, don't just rely on an impact driver to pull it up as you can easily strip out the thread in the end grain

The important thing is to make sure that you treat all the end grain with wood preservative prior to assembly or it will rot fairly quickly.

Good luck with your project.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact