By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Which doweling jig do you prefer?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Willie Osgood 112/05/2020 14:23:17
2 forum posts

I'm making a custom dining table and it will have 1 leaf. I figured I would purchase a doweling jig with which to get the pins into the table and leaf properly. There are so many jigs - which do you prefer?

Dominic Gibbens 118/05/2020 21:39:52
2 forum posts

I have had a Record doweling rig since the 70's ,it was quiet expensive at the time about £4. At the time a Stanley Bridges drill cost £10.00. In the last ten years I have used it in all my woodworking . I love it so much I even got a better one with a nice wooden box off ebay. They are very easy to use if you take care,joints always line up.

I have seen modern jigs which seem complicated (and expensive) by comparison. The dowel guides are imperial so metric dowels have to be knocked through a jig to reduce the size.

Record do not of course make them any more, but if if you can get one you will never need to make any other sort of joint.

After buying the original rig I also bought the large extension rods but in 40 years ,they have only been used twice. At the time I bought more expensive tools from Gattos in Wandsworth ,a trip there was very exciting,sadly in the last year or so it closed.

Paul Bodiam19/05/2020 20:25:35
107 forum posts
68 photos

I also use a Record 148 dowelling jig that I inherited from my late father. It is the mutt's nuts and, like Dominic, I recommend tracking one down if you can. There are several available on eBay right now.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact