By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Sanding sealer

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Malc19/01/2009 18:33:46
411 forum posts
63 photos
And for my latest stupid questions, please roll up.

Can you use any sanding sealer with any stain i.e. can you mix water based with spirit based?

When do you apply the sanding sealer, should it go on the work between the stain and the polish?

Is it worth using, what do you think?

By the way my base material is Brazillian ply.

Malc.

will spencer01/02/2009 23:25:53
21 forum posts
hey malc,
there are several types of sanding sealer available.
shellac sanding sealer
cellulose sanding sealer
spirit based sanding sealer
acrylic based sanding sealer

this is used as the base for your finish/i.e it seals the pores of your timbers before you apply the finish,after you have stained/dyed or coloured your workpiece.
the shellac based has a slower drying time so you can keep a large wet area longer.
the cellulose based has a very fast drying time,you will need cellulose thinners to cleanyour brushes.
the acrylic has the benefits of being low odour and doesn't carry a fire risk where the others do.
after staining applya coat of sanding sealer,when dry lightly sand/de nib with 240/320 grit paper.remove any dust and apply a second coat.when this is dry you can apply wax or varnish or shellac.

have a go
you never know

Ron Davis02/02/2009 16:43:11
1618 forum posts
201 photos
I usually use a water based stain with cellulose sealer, If you use similar based producets, i.e. spirit based stain and spirit based sealer, it can lift and smear the stains.

Try a mark on bitof scrap with a spirit based marker pen and then a spirit based sealer and watch the mark spread

Ron
Malc03/02/2009 13:15:39
411 forum posts
63 photos
Will,
Many thanks for the comprehensive reply.

Ron,
Thanks for the tip.

I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a bit before I do anything (workshop is not heated) as even water based products stink the house out.
Thanks again,
Malc.

Cedric Wheeler03/02/2009 23:00:53
154 forum posts
31 photos
I also use sanding sealer with water based stain but I usually put a coat of sealer on first,then cut back and put your stain on. This prevents the problem of excessive stain absorbtion on end grain and gives you much better control over your staining.
One word of warning when using sanding sealer at this time of the year if you put it on in a cold damp workshop,you will most likely get a white bloom on the finish as it picks up moisture from the air.

Cedric 

Mailee03/02/2009 23:26:10
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
I always use a cellulose sanding sealer on my work. I also wipe a couple of thinned coats on before staining on softwood like pine as it helps stop the stain being absorbed too quickly giving a more even stain.
Toothy04/02/2009 09:32:17
458 forum posts
67 photos
Hi Malc
Using sealer and finish with the same base is a recipe for disaster  . Try always to use sealer and finish/colouring with different bases. Most importantly TRY ON SCRAP FIRST
Toothy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact