By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Wooden Aquarium

Building a cost effective wooden aquarium

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jackey Tran17/03/2020 12:29:58
1 forum posts

Hi Everyone!!

I blame hoping to build a large outdoor (but under-the-shade) aquarium/tank with one viewing panel for my bigger fishes. However, I am looking at a cost effective means to do so, especially as a larger (non standard) all-glass tanks could easily go pass $500. The largest standard size is 1.8m, but I'm looking to go bigger.

I have an idea to use wooden sliding doors that people are giving away on Gumtree. I figured, I could use 2 unaltered for the back and base, 1 sliced in half for the sides, and then one with a square cut out in the middle for a single sheet of glass as viewing panel. Maybe add some reinforcement boards on the inside/outside.

Now I know that doors will undoubtedly bow with enough exposure to water and outdoor dew. However, my question is, could I paint/coat the wooden doors with something after I have put the tank together to avoid bowing and eventual bursting? Or what could I do to achieve what I am after?

Thank you in advance

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact