By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Wooden Aquarium

Building a cost effective wooden aquarium

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jackey Tran17/03/2020 12:29:58
1 forum posts

Hi Everyone!!

I blame hoping to build a large outdoor (but under-the-shade) aquarium/tank with one viewing panel for my bigger fishes. However, I am looking at a cost effective means to do so, especially as a larger (non standard) all-glass tanks could easily go pass $500. The largest standard size is 1.8m, but I'm looking to go bigger.

I have an idea to use wooden sliding doors that people are giving away on Gumtree. I figured, I could use 2 unaltered for the back and base, 1 sliced in half for the sides, and then one with a square cut out in the middle for a single sheet of glass as viewing panel. Maybe add some reinforcement boards on the inside/outside.

Now I know that doors will undoubtedly bow with enough exposure to water and outdoor dew. However, my question is, could I paint/coat the wooden doors with something after I have put the tank together to avoid bowing and eventual bursting? Or what could I do to achieve what I am after?

Thank you in advance

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact