By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Campervan Project

Misleadin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Wills 105/03/2020 17:28:35
24 forum posts

I've just bought the March edition of The Woodworker as it features a project on a VW Camper Van. I do think the feature is very misleading as the diagrams, not really plans, are very small and not to the same scale as the project being demonstrated. I don't want to make a model to the very small scale of the provided diagrams.

Derek Lane05/03/2020 19:59:02
3218 forum posts
1004 photos

I have just briefly looked at the article and would say that the diagrams need enlarging by how much I do not know.

John Wills 105/03/2020 21:54:51
24 forum posts

Yes they do need enlarging. But what publisher sells a magazine with a project in it that has unusable diagrams? Without full size drawings its not a workable project. Probably the most practical solution is to use a pantograph, but...really?

Wilf.T06/03/2020 10:16:11
25 forum posts
2 photos
John, Do you have access to a Copier or Scanner? I've never seen a modern copier or scanner that dosen't have the caperbility to magnify what it is copying. If so then you can copy to plain paper. You may have to do it two or three times to get to the size you require.
Tegan Foley06/03/2020 10:24:46
21 forum posts
22 articles

Hello all, Jolien Brebels, the author of the article has advised anyone who has a query regarding the diagrams to email her directly. She will then send you the full-size versions, which should then enable you to make the project accurately. Please email her at creatiedroom@outlook.com and she'll be able to assist.

Thank you,

Tegan

John Wills 106/03/2020 10:52:29
24 forum posts

@ Derek Lane: Yes they do need enlarging. After reading Step 9 where the dia of the wheels are given as 30mm I was able to determine that Fig 1 is approx at a scale of 3:10. I say approx because the circle representing the wheel is distorted slightly in that the dia measured vertically is a little different to that measured horizontally. Perhaps to be expected in a printed magazine.

@ Wilf.T: I don't directly have access to a photocopier but my wife does. However I'm not optimistic as to the outcome. It is a technique I occasionally used at work but the results were never good: distortion of straightness and variable enlargement horizontally and vertically. Additionally, the feature, in Fig 7, refers to drawings A, B & C and these are not included in the magazine!

@ Tegan Foley: I will email Jolien Brebels

Mike Jordan07/03/2020 15:18:25
160 forum posts
17 photos

Teapgan -The problem must be related to paying peanuts.!

Mike.

John Wills 122/03/2020 20:02:44
24 forum posts

So, emailed Jolien Brebels. No reply. Emailed again a week later and was sent a few sketches that together with the "project" article still leave me with too many omissions to encourage me to begin the model. She also explained her business model on, I seem to recall, the Patreon platform. Of no interest to me. If she was paid for the piece I think everyone has had a poor deal aprt from maybe her.

Mike Jordan22/03/2020 22:48:29
160 forum posts
17 photos

If this contributor is being paid in the same way as the rest of us then it's no wonder no real effort is being put in!

A savage cut back in page rates which occurred some time back is the root of the problem.. Repeated use of old articles and lack of anything new or interesting is probably all you are going to get for the subscriptions.

Tegan Foley23/03/2020 10:12:08
21 forum posts
22 articles

Hi, thanks for your views regarding the article. I can assure you that the author was NOT paid for the project. I appreciate your views, and if you would like to contact me directly, please email me here: tegan.foley@mytimemedia.com

Thanks,

Tegan

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Tool Post
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact