By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Drilling through hard wood

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robert Dalgleish17/01/2020 12:21:48
9 forum posts

Trying without success to drill 14mm holes through (sideways) 25mm ash and beech dowling. Using a Dewalt DT4765QZ 14 x 152 mm Extreme Flat Wood Drill Bit and my old Black & Decker 18v power drill. Any advice appreciated on the correct drill bit, power drill for this type of wood

Thanks,

Robert

Ron Davis17/01/2020 16:36:57
1613 forum posts
201 photos

Start with a smaller bit, say 10 mm, use an engineering bit or a lip and spur. Widen the hole with bigger bit until you are near the edge of the original hole, then with a carpenters gouge chip the dowel until you are all the way round,

Ron

Mike Jordan20/01/2020 18:10:12
160 forum posts
17 photos

Now there is something I have never done!

my suggestion is that you run a small drill ( say 2mm) right through the 25mm dowel and then drill from both sides to prevent tear out. I think a Forster bit might be the best bet to get a clean edged hole.

Big Al21/01/2020 21:48:23
1596 forum posts
73 photos

I would probably do this on my pillar drill with either a forstener bit, or a lip and spur bit. Also a slow drill speed would be better as a fast drilling speed would probably burn the wood. Also if drilling into doweling you would need to put the doweling into a wooden v block to stop it from twisting when you plunge the dill bit into the doweling.

Al

Robert Dalgleish13/02/2020 15:33:17
9 forum posts

Thanks very much for comments. After starting with a small bit for the pilot hole, to prevent tear out could a hole saw be better than a forstner bit, because I am still getting a lot of splintering on the exit side of the hole - have tried working up from a small bit to 14mm, taping the back, clamping wood behind etc. Also I need to drill the 14mm holes at a perfect 90 degrees as the 25mm dowel is a corner post - difficult to do accurately by hand or is a drill press the only way to do this (and drilling lots of 25mm posts)

Edited By Robert Dalgleish on 13/02/2020 15:34:27

Edited By Robert Dalgleish on 13/02/2020 15:41:00

Ron Davis13/02/2020 17:13:09
1613 forum posts
201 photos

Drill three quarters of the way through with your largest bit, and chop through with a small chisel, you should have a short piece of end grain t gothroug. Goo right through with the smaller bits.

Ron

Mike Jordan13/02/2020 18:20:10
160 forum posts
17 photos

We are working in the dark but still trying to help! If these are corner posts is it really sensible to drill right through.

The end grain will show on the surface surely. A brief discription of th job in hand might help.

Robert Dalgleish14/02/2020 12:29:51
9 forum posts

I am building a framework made of 350mm wooden dowels and the design includes drilling several holes right through the 25mm diam corner posts (straight on and sideways). The holes will be spaced evenly the length of each post for the 14mm width dowels to go through. The two issues are (1) tear out at the back and you have kindly suggested how to resolve this and (2) the holes in the corner posts need to be exactly in a two straight lines (straight on and sideways) and the lines exactly 90 degrees apart. I have failed to do the latter with my power drill and the wood in a vice, so thinking a drill press is the only way unless there is a handy jig for this purpose

Mike Jordan14/02/2020 13:46:18
160 forum posts
17 photos

There is a method that would work. If drilling a free hand hole in a flat surface a guide block can be made to keep the hole at 90 degrees to the surface. The guide block needs to be drilled by a drill press or mortiser before being held on the surface to guide the hand held drill. In your case I suggest that the block will need a vee groove in the bottom face to ensure that it locates with the round dowel. All you need now is a friend with a drill press!

David Svennigsen17/03/2020 17:32:40
6 forum posts

Start with a littler piece, utilize a designing piece or a lip and prod. Enlarge the opening with greater piece, at that point with a craftsmen gouge chip the dowel until you are on the whole the path round,

David Svennigsen17/03/2020 17:32:42
6 forum posts

Start with a littler piece, utilize a designing piece or a lip and prod. Enlarge the opening with greater piece, at that point with a craftsmen gouge chip the dowel until you are on the whole the path round,

Mike Jordan17/03/2020 18:16:45
160 forum posts
17 photos

Upon reflection this design must have a serious fault. If you drill a 14mm hole through a25mm dowel you will be left with a small crescent of material at each side, this will only be 5.5 mm at the thickest point and taper to nothing in a few degrees.

Robert Dalgleish19/03/2020 11:21:14
9 forum posts

Fair point Mike. Rule of thumb the drilled hole should not be more than 50% is that correct?

Mike Jordan19/03/2020 12:28:26
160 forum posts
17 photos

Ive never heard of such a rule Robert. In truth it hadn't occurred to me that drilling a 14 mm hole through a 25 mm dowel removed such a huge percentage of the material, I was concentrating on the need to avoid break out of the edges of the hole

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact