By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Want to start woodworking

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Aodhan Cotter11/07/2019 23:32:03
9 forum posts

HI all,

Been doing woodwork at school now for the past 3 years and want to start at home myself. I have a fair idea of what tools i want to get but any suggestions for additions would be greatly appreciated. If anyone could reccomend brands for the tools I'd also appreciate it.

Tennon Saw

Hand saw

4 Various sized chisels

Mallet

Marking gauge

Sandpaper of 3 different grits

Tape, ruler, sliding bevel and try square

Coping saw

Already have an ikea screwdriver with different head types. Will i need more?

A plane

Clamps (G shape)

I'll need a workbench but could I make my own and if so, where to get a vice for it?

Will need a drill of some description for general purpose. Recoomendations?

Thank you in advance!

Julian12/07/2019 09:42:19
544 forum posts
28 photos

Hi Aodhan, I always recommend Paul Sellers to newcomers His Youtube site is brilliant his bench designs are good and he is a good teacher. Hand tools only which by the sound of it will suit you. Best of Luck -- Julian

Ron Davis12/07/2019 19:24:36
1599 forum posts
201 photos

Aodhan, welcome to the forum and the world of woodworking

You have quitea list tere andit will cost a lot to buy it all at once, buy as you need the tools, and if you are like most of us, you will never stop!

Buy good tools and look after them, in particular, learn to sharpen them correctly. All your list seems to be for hand tools, remember to buy well and buy once.

A good place to get tools is EBay and I suggest you get vice frm there, 99% of wood working vices seem to be a Record, they are heavy but last a lifetime.

good luck and post some pictures when you can

Ron

Aodhan Cotter12/07/2019 19:37:47
9 forum posts

What tools would you suggest to get on eBay apart from the vice?

Do you think this is a good drill too? Bosch drill with 2 batteries and charger along with 50 item accessory pack (aka enough drill bits). All for £94 (I'm in Ireland so little over €100)

Aodhan Cotter12/07/2019 19:39:50
9 forum posts

Also, could you recommend a tenon saw?

Edited By Aodhan Cotter on 12/07/2019 19:40:09

Aodhan Cotter15/07/2019 00:48:08
9 forum posts

Trying to find a reasonably priced bench plane. Thinking a no. 4 or 5 as I only want to buy 1 for now. Anyone have recommendations. Anyone have opinions on this bench plane? **LINK**

Irwin seems like a reliable brand to me so I'm considering it.

Wilf.T16/07/2019 10:46:35
20 forum posts
2 photos

Welcome Aodham,

Hopefully the following will be practical advice rather than lots of money intially (you’ll never stop buying tools), these are to learn on, ‘cause you will make mistakes along the way and sometimes spoiling something cheap to replace is better than ruining an expensive tool.

So your list, commented >>WT<< :-

Tennon Saw >>WT<< I’d suggest any of the ‘Harden toothed’ ones from Spear & Jackson (S&J), Irwin or Draper.

Hand saw >>WT<< ‘2nd Fix’ S&J Predator initially

4 Various sized chisels >>WT<< An ‘own brand’ (Magnusson) set of 3 from Screwfix. Rather than the highest quality as a beginer you need to know how to sharpen tools, these are easier to maintain a good edge on than more expensive tools.

>>WT<< You need a ‘Honing’ guide and stone (200 & 400/600 grit) or diamond plate.

Mallet >>WT<< Don’t bother, make your own – notes on this site.

Marking gauge >>WT<< Axminster 2153 Marking and Mortice Gauge

Sandpaper of 3 different grits >>WT<< just a roll of 80 or 120 Grit – as used it will get softer (finer) grit.

Tape, >>WT<< 5mtr/with Imp. scale;

ruler, >>WT<< 600 or 1mtr Metal rule;

sliding bevel, >>WT<< The Stanley one from Screwfix is as good as any

and try square >>WT<< A 12inch Combination Square and a ‘Speed’ (rafter) Square (Empire tools from Homebase)

Coping saw >>WT<< Bahco or Stanley. Buy spare blades.

Already have an ikea screwdriver with different head types. Will i need more? >>WT<< YES - Cabinet pattern 6x100mm & Pozi No2 X100mm to start with. Don't use slotted screwdrivers as levers. You will buy more as you progress.

A plane >>WT<< You will find a ‘No4’ (Smoothing) plane is more useful (general purpose) than a No5 (Jack) plane. In a hurry – then buy a ‘Faithful’ one (or a kit including a ‘Block Plane' ) when on offer.

Clamps (G shape) >>WT<< Record tools but Irwin ‘Quick-Grips’ are probably as useful.

I'll need a workbench but could I make my own and if so, where to get a vice for it? >>WT<< look at the web. Or a ‘WorkMate’; Then make a saw horse the same height, Use a piece of Kitchen worktop fixed to the ‘fixed’ side of the workmate jaws. You will do most things except chop out mortises on that.

Will need a drill of some description for general purpose. Recoomendations? >>WT<< If they are still available the Aldi ‘brushless’ tools (Ferrex) are excellent value. Otherwise the ‘Erbauer’ range for value.

For ‘quality’ tools I’d be looking second hand at Car Boots or Sunday markets. In recent weeks at the Felixstowe market there has been a Stanley No4 plane for £10, Marples (pre 2000) ‘lollipop’ Chisels for £5 each. Beech mallets for £3 to £5.

A set (index) of twist drills (Aldi's or Lidl's).  A set of 'Auger' drills 12/18/25mm initially then 10/16/22/30mm as additions when needed.

Do learn how to sharpen edge tools properly.

Edited By Wilf.T on 16/07/2019 10:47:42

Edited By Wilf.T on 16/07/2019 10:50:27

Edited By Wilf.T on 16/07/2019 10:50:58

Edited By Wilf.T on 16/07/2019 10:55:20

Aodhan Cotter21/07/2019 00:23:21
9 forum posts

Anyone know what newer Irwin Record planes are like?

Aodhan Cotter21/07/2019 00:25:41
9 forum posts

Or am i better off with faithful?

Derek Lane21/07/2019 08:54:15
3204 forum posts
990 photos
Posted by Wilf.T on 16/07/2019 10:46:35:

Sandpaper of 3 different grits >>WT<< just a roll of 80 or 120 Grit – as used it will get softer (finer) grit.

Once you have used sandpaper it does not become "softer" it looses it ability to do its job.

Once sandpaper is used go to the next grit this will ensure optimum abrasion with it. It is one of the fastest moving pieces in my workshop.

Not only that but the idea of moving through the grits is to remove the scratches from the previous paper. Never jump more than 100 grit between paper changes this makes it easier to get rid of scratches from the one used before

Ron Davis21/07/2019 17:40:12
1599 forum posts
201 photos

Aoadhan, you will be better off with either Record or Stanley, look on E Bay there are always lots on there and for my money better than anything new in your price range

Ron

Aodhan Cotter21/07/2019 19:49:05
9 forum posts

Opinions on these 2 chisels I just found on ebay?

**LINK**

**LINK**

Thanks for the fast replies so far

Ron Davis22/07/2019 16:37:52
1599 forum posts
201 photos

Both look good, but I think the second one is expensive, a lot cheaper than a new one though. The first one ends very soon put in a bid for £25 and see how it goes. Then think about how to sharpen it!

Ron

Aodhan Cotter22/07/2019 21:02:43
9 forum posts

Got the plane for approximately €39. Any other tools you would recommend buying on ebay?

Ron Davis23/07/2019 19:55:35
1599 forum posts
201 photos

Well done, wait to see what you need, we all have a shed full of tools we rarely use,

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact