By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Red wood slab

Redwood table

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Daniel Peers10/07/2019 18:41:15
1 forum posts

Hi everyone

I have some questions. I have bought an eight foot redwood slab from a sawmill it is about 5 inches thick, I would like to make a base and turn it into an outside table. However

I don’t think it’s fully dry!

If I make a base that allows the slab to sit on top, then I won’t have to screw it which would affect the hold of the screws when the wood contracts

if I sand the slab and use a protective oil- then which one? Will the slab continue to dry with oil on it?

i plan to cover the table during rain

ideally I would store the slab, buy a wood moisture gauge and check until I’m happy that it’s at the right moisture level, then build, but it could take a while!

I live near Manchester, I would like to kiln dry the slab if anyone knows of a place that would do this?

i hope someone can advise, thanks

Dan

Derek Lane11/07/2019 20:16:13
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

It will take a very long time to dry normally 1" per year plus 1 year but the problem is that it is a very thick piece and can take a lot longer. If it is still wet/green then the ends ideally would need to be sealed to slow the drying and hopefully prevent it splitting from the end grain.

A moisture meter will only tell you the moisture on the surface or as deep as the probes can penetrate

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact