By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Red wood slab

Redwood table

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Daniel Peers10/07/2019 18:41:15
1 forum posts

Hi everyone

I have some questions. I have bought an eight foot redwood slab from a sawmill it is about 5 inches thick, I would like to make a base and turn it into an outside table. However

I don’t think it’s fully dry!

If I make a base that allows the slab to sit on top, then I won’t have to screw it which would affect the hold of the screws when the wood contracts

if I sand the slab and use a protective oil- then which one? Will the slab continue to dry with oil on it?

i plan to cover the table during rain

ideally I would store the slab, buy a wood moisture gauge and check until I’m happy that it’s at the right moisture level, then build, but it could take a while!

I live near Manchester, I would like to kiln dry the slab if anyone knows of a place that would do this?

i hope someone can advise, thanks

Dan

Derek Lane11/07/2019 20:16:13
3204 forum posts
990 photos

It will take a very long time to dry normally 1" per year plus 1 year but the problem is that it is a very thick piece and can take a lot longer. If it is still wet/green then the ends ideally would need to be sealed to slow the drying and hopefully prevent it splitting from the end grain.

A moisture meter will only tell you the moisture on the surface or as deep as the probes can penetrate

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chippendale
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact