By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Ledge and braced door

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
DAVID TURNER 820/05/2019 19:41:25
1 forum posts

Hi guys.

My first post here so hopefully you can answer a few questions for me. Firstly, a bit of project info.

I am building and exterior ledge and braced door for an out building. I have decided to try and replicate the original door which is made up of 6 190mm wide planks.

So I couldn't find t&g to match the original, so I am opting to cut and groove and add a loose tongue to each joint. As it is an exterior door, I have to allow for expansion.

So do I need to glue one side of each tongue into the groove and leave the other? And also, how would I go about fixing the planks to the ledge and braces to allow for movement, with out the risk of future splitting?

Thank you for any advice you may have.

David

Tim Rowe08/06/2019 18:22:20
1 forum posts

David

My first post too.

Let me see if I can help using my boatbuilding experience and quite a lot of DIY over the years.

I would only glue the tongue to one joint thereby replicating the tongue and groove system. If there is any movement it would be more likely to break the paint seal rather than split the tongue (hopefully!)

The ledge and brace structure should be fairly stable provided the wood is properly seasoned and then fully protected against absorption by painting. I like glued joints and I don't know how thick your planks are to consider using screws but I would most likely use oval nails with the heads punched in so they can be filled and painted over to stop rusting. On a boat (and tongue and groove is used for deck and internal bulkheads) I would use silicon bronze Gripfast nails but I think that would be a bit of an overkill for a door unless you are living right on the beach.

Tim

Wilf.T09/06/2019 10:41:42
17 forum posts
2 photos
Some help here ( https://www.getwoodworking.com/forums/postings.asp?th=126963 )

A further suggestion is to use 1mm spacers between each board when fixing to the ledges.
Wilf.T09/06/2019 10:43:47
17 forum posts
2 photos
You could ask a good woodyard to make up some T&G planks of the right width. They ought to be able to pressure treat them at the same time.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Tool Post
Tormek
D&M Tools
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact