By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Workbench

Veritas plan

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Wills 118/05/2019 12:58:45
14 forum posts

I'm thinking my first project should be a workbench and browsing around an Axminster store a couple of days ago I came across Veritas plans for one. Are these any good? What are the alternatives?

Brian Barber21/05/2019 15:34:44
158 forum posts
244 photos

Hi John,

I built my own bench from scratch, have a look at my album New Workbench, gives some details of construction. I don’t use plans just build as I go along. Best thing about building to your own design is that you can make it to fit your available space and include features that you want. My main requirement was two front vices and a solid top that I could clamp on to all around the bench, also storage space. Best tip is to use solid wood (beech in my case, 40mm thick) kitchen worktops for the top of the bench. These are nice and flat and stay that way.

Brian

John Wills 122/05/2019 14:26:41
14 forum posts

Hi Brian,

Thank you so much.

Interesting work!

John

Zoe Potter23/05/2019 12:16:15
6 forum posts

A workbench is next on my list of things to make once I finish off a few DIY jobs.

Thanks for the tip Brian. I never thought to use a kitchen worktop and they are so cheap on ebay.

Julian03/06/2019 20:08:23
542 forum posts
28 photos

Hi John, A workbench is probably the most important item in anybody's workshop and a purpose made one will always be the best. Have a quick look at Paul Sellers You-Tube Site He has a couple of different benches on here all of which in my opinion are excellent and anyone can build them and modify them to their own needs and size.

Julian

John Wills 103/06/2019 23:38:32
14 forum posts

Hi Julian, thanks for information.

I’ll take a look

Regards

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Tool Post
Tormek
D&M Tools
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact