By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Just joined, noob queries, excited about first project please help

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ali Naqvi11/04/2019 14:02:53
2 forum posts

Hi guys

I just joined. I was meaning to dive into a few projects and start spending money on equipment. Its been on the back burner for a while but I feel I cant wait anymore and I want to do some projects asap.

There are hundreds of videos on youtube on how to build chairs, tables, coffee tables etc etc and thats the kind of stuff I want to experiment with.

Because this is my first time, I thought I would choose a very simple outdoor sofa / bench project. I saw this video

Cannot post links as I am new, please see video on youtube called "how to make an Outdoor Sofa" by "HomeMadeModern"

This looks like something I could easily mess up, even though it looks quite simple to do.

Can anyone please advise on where I can purchase the wood for this kind of project? I am based in London.

From the video, it looks like I will need 200mmx100mm timber and some 100mmx50mm timber as well.

Which sort of timber should I get? What does treated mean? I just found out that searching for "railway sleepers" provides the same results as the word "timber".

I want to purchase this from somewhere cheap, weather resistant and possibly cut into pieces I can fit in a car.

I just want to know a cheap place to buy the wood. I have seen some sites, where a 2.4m piece is about £20 but delivery is about £100.

Is there a place where I can purchase this, get them cut to fit in my car and which is in the London area?

Many thanks and apologies for my first very long post.

Derek Lane11/04/2019 18:04:53
3204 forum posts
990 photos

Try a google search for timber yards near where you are all you can do is phone and find out what they will charge many will also cotdown to length so it fits in the car.

How about newrailway sleepers the ones that Garden centres sell

Is this the video

Edited By Derek Lane on 11/04/2019 18:05:48

Ali Naqvi11/04/2019 19:31:11
2 forum posts

Yes that's the video. Thanks for posting. I will try calling around to see if I can find anything close by. B&q and wickes don't do these sizes.

Thanks for responding. I will try getting the stuff over the week.

Harry Crowther 123/05/2019 12:31:38
4 forum posts

Have you tried posting on Facebook groups or websites such as Freecycle? It might be worth a shot. Old furniture and kitchen worktops are great for experimenting.

Harry

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact