By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

How do I reinforce a partition wall so I can connect to it.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Zoe Potter10/04/2019 12:31:11
9 forum posts

I am installing a ballet barre (like a handrail) to a partition wall. Behind the wall is a cupboard so it doesn't need to look neat on that side.

The barre will be leaned on, so I need to make it as strong as possible. I'm going to reinforce the back of the wall with plates. The idea is that the brackets at the front of the wall, connect into the plates at the back of the wall.

I am hoping that someone has experience of working with partition walls and can advise how I should attach it.

Mike Jordan10/04/2019 19:39:38
153 forum posts
17 photos

If this is a normal studded wall it will have vertical studs (approximately 75 X 50mm) faced on both sides with 12 mm plaster board. The horizontal distance between the studs will vary according to the age of the construction, they are spaced to match the width of the plaster board sheets. Typically 400 to 600 mm apart .

The handrail brackets could be screwed directly into each stud, finding the stud locations can be done by listening to the sound while tapping with a hammer, using a stud detector, or drilling small holes in the plaster board until you find the first stud.

Ifyou are unlucky the wall may be made with partition boarding which usually consists of two sheets of plaster board with cardboard egg box type centre. iIts unlikely that this will support a handrail without reinforcement.

Zoe Potter18/04/2019 10:43:03
9 forum posts

I've found the studs and I'd like to drill all the way through them. I'm thinking of securing the brackets with plates and nuts. I had a barre in a previous studio that worked loose because students kept pulling on it. I don't want this to happen again so I was even thinking of using aerotight nuts or nylon locking nuts or castle nuts. What do you think?

Mike Jordan18/04/2019 16:44:10
153 forum posts
17 photos

I see no reason why bolts with nylock nuts and washers should work loose. The only addition to your plan that comes to mind is the inclusion of a horizontal rail on the back face of the stud wall to further spread the load.

Ron Davis18/04/2019 20:05:59
1602 forum posts
201 photos

When you get the nuts and bolts, ask for self locking nuts, or put a secon nut on as alocking nut.

Ron

Harry Crowther 115/05/2019 16:49:56
4 forum posts

I'd use aerotight nuts if you haven't already installed your barre. They are like Nylocs with more vibration resistance. Here is a link for more information: **LINK**

Harry

Zoe Potter16/05/2019 14:46:11
9 forum posts

Ah thanks Harry. I was wondering what the difference was between those too.

I saw an interesting junker test video that compared various washers and nuts. The nylon insert nut performed the best, followed by the double nut, but Aerotight nuts weren't in the video.

I'm hoping to get parts ordered this week, so I can install it during the bank holiday.

Harry Crowther 116/05/2019 14:59:51
4 forum posts

You can't go wrong with either type. It's probably worth pointing out that Nylocs are a bit harder to remove, if you need to move your barre in future.

Harry

Zoe Potter16/05/2019 15:21:20
9 forum posts

Ah good point, Aerotight nuts it is!

I didn't realise that Accu sold so many different fasteners. I bought a ProKit from them at the weekend at the Makers Central show. If I'd of known they sold locking nuts, I could have asked them at the show! haha

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact