By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Wooden Bench Screws

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Fell22/01/2019 16:58:41
13 forum posts
15 photos

I have a Sjoberg wooden bench. The wood has understandably moved and in the winter months the end vice becomes almost locked solid because the wooden screw thread binds. During the summer months the vice there is no problem.

Does any know how to fix this problem? Is it possible to remove the threaded screw and re-cut it somehow to loosen it?

Derek Lane22/01/2019 18:44:24
3194 forum posts
990 photos

The problem of rethreading is that in summer it will then be too loose. It needs stripping down in summer or if done in winter take it indoors for 3 or 4 weeks then give it a good seal with something like one of the oil finishes. Someone else may have a better answer

Steve Fell22/01/2019 21:25:30
13 forum posts
15 photos

Thanks for the comment. I had thought of that. To be honest it's not that loose in the summer and I don't believe making slightly looser in the summer would be a big problem if I can use it in the winter. I've never tried to remove the end vice so I don't know how easy it would be. I have tried using candle wax to easy it but I don't think it worked very well

derek willis 123/01/2019 09:46:02
95 forum posts
12 photos

Steve,

I would try a silicone spray, sold in aerosol form, available from merchants and B&Q.

works for me for various similar applications.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Tool Post
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact