By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Removing rust from hand tools

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bill Wheeler24/12/2018 12:21:36
21 forum posts

Hello All. I need to remove rust from several tools (yes, my workshop lets in draught, but that's another task). I've looked at a solution called Evapo-Rust - 5L, £40.00. Does any one have any alternative methods of removing / eliminating rust from metal hand tools? Many thanks.

Derek Lane24/12/2018 14:19:33
3194 forum posts
990 photos

How much rust is on them. For light rust a very light sand with Wet and dry sand paper using a light oil then wipe off if it heavily rusted then look at either chemical rust removers.

Ron Davis24/12/2018 16:07:35
1590 forum posts
201 photos

I agree with Derek, wet or dry, elbow grease and patience!

There are other ways, washing soda in water and a car battery charger appears to work, though I have yet to try it.

Fortyquid seems a lot, though it depends on how much you value your tools

Ron

derek willis 126/12/2018 10:11:32
95 forum posts
12 photos

There was a video on here some years ago, about using a 12volt battery

and 2 electrodes connected placed either end of a tank of solution, place

tools in, and turn on. Must be on the internet, so search.

Derek.

Wilf.T26/12/2018 13:32:25
11 forum posts
Use a Nylon scourer (Scotchbrite) pad. Lubricate with beeswax. I find the 'spray' stuff from Wilko's is excellent for doing this. I use it on the cast iron tables on my saw etc and on hand tools. A fine misting is all you need.
Only use more aggressive methods if the tools are not flat and true.
Bill Wheeler27/12/2018 09:56:25
21 forum posts

Hello All. Many thanks for your suggestions. I understand the Evapo-Rust can be reused, but I agree with Ron that 40 pounds is expensive. I have a perennial problem with my tools so I'll try the nylon pad and beeswax to see if that offers a more long-term solution. In the meantime, I need to draught-proof my garage turned workshop.

John Baddeley31/12/2018 18:13:22
52 forum posts
2 photos

As an aside, I can't help thinking it's not the draught, but damp and cold leading to condensation. (Sorry, I'm very pedantic!)

Movement of air is a good thing, surely, just make sure your workspace doesn't get warm or damp, and then cold.

If the space is really difficult to keep sufficiently dry, maybe it's worth having a cupboard for your hand tools [not practical for big machines] and put a light bulb in the bottom and leave it on to maintain a little warmth. (If you like this idea, please check thoroughly that nothing gets too warm! I won't be held responsible for a fire!!)

And if I'm talking through my hat, tell me!

Good luck.

Bill Wheeler01/01/2019 09:59:56
21 forum posts

Hello John, Thanks for your words of wisdom. My workspace does not get warm, I've spent some time updating/converting my garage into a usable workshop - replacing all windows for uPVC non-openers and new doors, but yet to solve the issue of air coming in through gaps in the roofing (corrugated profile) sheets. I'll use your suggestion of making cupboards for my planes etc after I've cleaned off the rust. Looking at a video of the Evapo-Rust, it really works well to completely clean off heavy rust. I've seen 5L for 30 pounds so might try this if all else is unsatisfactory. Happy New Year all.

Cedric Wheeler04/01/2019 20:39:03
141 forum posts
25 photos

I spray all my tools ( including lathe beds and chucks etc) at the onset of the cold weather with WD40 then just wipe off the excess. This will normally keep them clean until it warms up again.

Alan Robinson 329/01/2019 08:36:18
1 forum posts

Hello although a new member, may I suggest soaking them in red wine vinegar, have done this very successfully with some badly rusted tools and on cast iron as well. Soak for as long as possible, a few days at least, then a light wire brush, I used a brass one, then a bit of spray to protect.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact