By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

At The Going Down Of The Sun

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Derek Lane31/10/2018 18:40:32
3181 forum posts
974 photos

This is my tribute to all those that gave so much from all around the world.
I named it “At The Going Down of The Sun” because of the lines of the verse as well as the soldier silhouetted against the setting sun I then added some poppies for that little extra way of remembering the fallen.

Made from Field maple and then sprayed using an airbrush and finished with an acrylic gloss varnish. It stands 8 3/4” and is 3 1/4” at the widest point.

I have been working on this for nearly a week as the decoration was originally going to be flames but two days ago I decided to rub it back and go with this design.
The inside and bottom I have left natural wood so people can see the material that this piece is made from

Robin Buckland 331/10/2018 20:15:01
13 forum posts
18 photos
400 articles

Hello Derek,

This is a marvellous piece of work, congratulations, and a fine tribute as we come to the 100th anniversary of the end of the Great War. The artwork is first class, .yesteeth 2 and the whole thing done in a week smile o. Thank you for showing it to us all.

Robin

Derek Lane31/10/2018 21:58:59
3181 forum posts
974 photos

Thank you Robin

derek willis 101/11/2018 09:47:03
86 forum posts
12 photos

Great job Derek, you do some fine work.

Derek.

Derek Lane01/11/2018 12:20:31
3181 forum posts
974 photos

Thank you Derek

Just to let you know what will happen to this piece after my club meeting Saturday I will be taking it to my local Royal British Legion branch and giving it to them as a donation so they can help servicemen and women both serving and retired

sad sam13/11/2018 18:58:14
578 forum posts
220 photos

Really impressive I'm blower if i can work out how you have got the silhouette of the soldier on

Derek Lane13/11/2018 21:10:15
3181 forum posts
974 photos
Posted by sad sam on 13/11/2018 18:58:14:

Really impressive I'm blower if i can work out how you have got the silhouette of the soldier on

Thank you.

I made a stencil of the soldier and attached it to the vase using photographic spray adhesive then sprayed the sun over that. Because the stencil was on there for a short time the adhesive did not set fully making it easier to remove.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chris Tribe Furniture
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact