By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Woodworking Project Basics - What Is Joinery?

My creative research on woodworking joinery

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jas Evic25/10/2018 23:45:44
6 forum posts

If you are a novice woodworker, there are several basic terms you should learn as you undertake your next woodworking project. One word you will come across is "joinery." This term refers to the usage of various types of joints that connect pieces of wood thus making a more complex wood structure such as furniture. Of course, this term not only applies to wood furniture but to just about any structure that uses wood, such as a house.

There are some joints uses in woodworking. Some of these are dovetail, butt, lap and miter joints. These joints vary in purpose, simplicity, flexibility, and level of strength. They also differ in how they fasten the pieces of wood together. Some use nails or screws, dowels; whiles others use glue.

The simplest to build is the butt joint, as it involves only joining two-piece wood together at a right angle. This type of joint is the quickest to employ because of its simplicity. The butt joint is held together with nails or screws. This kind of joint does not require screws or nails as glue and dowels are used instead.

The butt joint is similar to the miter joint. The ends of wood to be attached are cut at forty-five-degree angles, with those ends being placed together. This a weak joint but like the butt joint, it can be made quickly. However, it can be reinforced with a spline. This is a stripe of wood inserted in a matching groove. This type of joint is known as a spline miter joint.

Another joint you might use in your next woodworking project is the lap joint. In this case, the two pieces of wood are joined together by overlapping the two ends. This is a weak joint but can be quickly constructed and used in many types of woodworking projects. These joints have more strength than the simple butt and miter joints and often used in cabinet making.

Jas Evic25/10/2018 23:46:22
6 forum posts

My post was too long, I am continuing below.

One of the more complex to woodworking joints to make is the dovetail joint. However, this joint is very strong because it uses fingers to connect the pieces. This woodworking joint does not require nails or screws but is held together with glue. The fingers of the dovetail joint are cut at angles giving added strength. These are often seen being used in a chest of drawers, where the sides of the drawer connect to the front.

As you can see, there are some joints which can be used in the joinery process. These are only a few of them. Various woodworking projects benefit from using certain types of joints over other types. Using proven woodworking plans will help you determine the best joint to use in your next woodworking project.

If you found my work valuable please consider helping me with some feedback on a VidFlow YouTube video woodworking playlist I am working on. What should I add and what is it missing? I am also working on a video playlist on Wood Carving.

Thank you so much, I appreciate all the help I can get.

Regards,

JE

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chris Tribe Furniture
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact