By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Design and draw software

Designing a project

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Pearce 130/09/2018 10:17:49
3 forum posts

As a (very) amateur woodworker I still use my school TD - Technical Drawing to those under 50 - experience to design and draw projects. Indeed, I still use the compass I used in the schoolroom!

Much as I enjoy this part of a project does anyone know of any software that would let me do this on screen rather than paper?

Michael P

Julian09/10/2018 11:31:00
535 forum posts
28 photos

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum - I am hopeless at using cad packages mainly because my need for them is so rare I suppose. There is one free package that people like to use and that is Sketchup, I think it's available on the google site. It may be worth you trying, there are lots of tutorials (good & bad) on UTube. -- Julian

Michael Pearce 109/10/2018 11:34:56
3 forum posts

That is very kind of you. In doing a few Google searches this is the only one I have identified as being potentially useful. (Funnily enough I was in the middle of doing my 'school TD' plans when your post came up.) Thank you.

Paul Bodiam12/10/2018 13:54:06
96 forum posts
45 photos

I use Sketchup to visualise designs in 3D before making sawdust. See this thread for a comparison of the Sketchup visualisation and the finished project...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Chris Tribe Furniture
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Triton
Chippendale
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact